Ruger No. 1-V 6.5 Creedmoor

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnybear

Bearcat
Great site and information on here everyone. Keep up the good work :D !

I have a No.1-V in 6.5 Creedmoor coming to me in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if anyone has one of these new V models yet and how they are shooting for you?

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Johnnybear said:

I have a No.1-V in 6.5 Creedmoor coming to me in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if anyone has one of these new V models yet and how they are shooting for you?

I have a 77V in 6.5 Creedmoor, it's a great and easy shooting caliber.

Creedmoor Sports is pretty good on brass, dies and such. I use the Hornady Dimension dies although IIRC I had to make do with 260 Remington dies for my first batch. Easy cartridge to reload.

I tend to use 120 and 140 grain bullets, BTHP from Sierra or AMax from Hornady - for some reason H4831 is sticking in my head as a powder I use but I'm not certain.

Ski

Bearcat
Johnnybear said:

I have a 1V in 6.5 Creedmoor that I bought through Davidsons a little over a month ago. The interesting thing is that I had my local FFL order it for me and I actually had them order a 1A in 6.5 Creedmoor. When I went to pick up the rifle at my dealer, we opened the box (which had a label identifying the contents as a 1A with the correct Ruger Model number for a 1A) only to find a 1V whose serial number matched the serial number on the boxes outside label which identified the contents as a 1A. Rather than send it back, I decided to keep it. Shortly after I bought the rifle, I had shoulder surgery so I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it much - only put 5 rounds through it so far but am looking forward to sending more downrange once things warm up here in Minnesota. Nice looking rifle. I'm well satisfied with the quality and the wood.

Johnnybear

Bearcat
"SkiI have a 1V in 6.5 Creedmoor that I bought through Davidsons a little over a month ago. The interesting thing is that I had my local FFL order it for me and I actually had them order a 1A in 6.5 Creedmoor. When I went to pick up the rifle at my dealer, we opened the box (which had a label identifying the contents as a 1A with the correct Ruger Model number for a 1A) only to find a 1V whose serial number matched the serial number on the boxes outside label which identified the contents as a 1A. Rather than send it back, I decided to keep it. Shortly after I bought the rifle, I had shoulder surgery so I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it much - only put 5 rounds through it so far but am looking forward to sending more downrange once things warm up here in Minnesota. Nice looking rifle. I'm well satisfied with the quality and the wood.

With a story like that I would be keeping it as well :D . Unique so to speak. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad the wood is good too.

I have a few more weeks before I get my hands on the rifle. I am going to go with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 x40 long range fine duplex.

Ski

Bearcat
Johnnybear said:
With a story like that I would be keeping it as well :D . Unique so to speak. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad the wood is good too.... I am going to go with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 x40 long range fine duplex.

I've got several Leupolds and like them alot. I decided to try a Redfield 3-9X40 with the Accu-Range reticle on my 1V. Nice scope for the money. Now to see how well it shoots....

Have you tried finding ammunition yet? Not commonly carried in the retail stores in my area. I've been able to scrounge several boxes by ordering some on line and buying some from a local dealer that ordered some in for me. I'll eventually reload for this round.

Ski

Bearcat
picketpin said:
Buy lots of brass. This one won't be around long.

RWT

I've seen that opinion from others about this round. Of course, I could probably tally just as many and more oposite opinions. I considered this possibility prior to buying my 1V. In any event, buying lots of 6.5 Creedmoor brass is a good idea since it is easier than sizing it from other base calibre cases - although this of course can be done.

mrgaf

Single-Sixer
Anyone have a range report yet? Biting at the bit to get one but a little reluctant since a very bad experience with accuracy issues with a 1V in 223 that was never resolved...... :D

chet15

Hawkeye
Ski said:
Johnnybear said:
The interesting thing is that I had my local FFL order it for me and I actually had them order a 1A in 6.5 Creedmoor. When I went to pick up the rifle at my dealer, we opened the box (which had a label identifying the contents as a 1A with the correct Ruger Model number for a 1A) only to find a 1V whose serial number matched the serial number on the boxes outside label which identified the contents as a 1A. Rather than send it back, I decided to keep it.

Thats pretty interesting....yes, being human is a part of modern manufacturing. Errors happen all the time.
I'm curious though if Ruger's model number on the end of the box is 11356 (for the 1A 6.5) or 11362 (for the 1V 6.5). Interesting thing about it is, if you were to call the factory to verify a catalog number on the gun, they'll probably verify it as 1A because that was what was on their end label.
Chet15

Johnnybear

Bearcat
Ski said:
I've got several Leupolds and like them alot. I decided to try a Redfield 3-9X40 with the Accu-Range reticle on my 1V. Nice scope for the money. Now to see how well it shoots....

Have you tried finding ammunition yet? Not commonly carried in the retail stores in my area. I've been able to scrounge several boxes by ordering some on line and buying some from a local dealer that ordered some in for me. I'll eventually reload for this round.

I have 5 boxes ordered with the rifle and hopefully some brass as well(waiting to hear back on the brass). I bought the rifle from Clay at Prophet River in Alberta.

Just ordered up some Redding dies and some other goodies. Still a couple of weeks away from receiving the rifle.

Johnnybear

Bearcat
Ski said:
I've seen that opinion from others about this round. Of course, I could probably tally just as many and more oposite opinions. I considered this possibility prior to buying my 1V. In any event, buying lots of 6.5 Creedmoor brass is a good idea since it is easier than sizing it from other base calibre cases - although this of course can be done.

Good post Ski 8) .

I just found a couple hundred brass and ordered 5 more boxes of superformance 120gr. GMX's. That puts me up to 400 brass. Another couple of hundred and I should be good.

picketpin

Buckeye
Ruger has already discontinued the 204 Ruger in the #1. At one time not long ago it was offered as an "A". "AB", "B" and "V".

The 204 was the one propriatery cartridge that Ruger has come out with that actually reached wide scale public acceptance is/was loaded by most major ammo makers and is chambered by nearly every major manufacturers of firearms.

If they can't sell enough 204s to keep it in the #1 line up then I would postulate that the 6.5 Creedmore has little chnace of long term acceptance in the #1.

Ross

As I read the information for the cartridge the "Point" was how well it works in true short actions. Which, as Bill Ruger pointed out many times had little if anything to do with the use of a cartridge in the #1.

Given the current trend at Ruger, I would look for the cartridge to sell a few rifles and be discontinued and replaced with something else within a year or two.

Guys seeking true target preformance don't choose the #1. While a reaaly nice rifle even the best #1s aren't going to shoot true BR accuracy. So what you have here is a very specific target cartridge that offers no particular advantage in the #1, either in terms of the action or taking advantage of the potential accuracy, which won't be widely sold and will not reach wide public acceptance and will soon be discintuned for whatever else is either the new flavor of the months or something OLD that also makes no sense in the #1.

That being said, I'll probably buy one to go with the rest of the "V"s but for no practical purpose or advantage or a dozen other "V"s

I remember not to long ago when the 6.8 SPC was going to set the world on fire..............................................

RWT

Ski

Bearcat
chet15 said:
Ski said:
Johnnybear said:
The interesting thing is that I had my local FFL order it for me and I actually had them order a 1A in 6.5 Creedmoor. When I went to pick up the rifle at my dealer, we opened the box (which had a label identifying the contents as a 1A with the correct Ruger Model number for a 1A) only to find a 1V whose serial number matched the serial number on the boxes outside label which identified the contents as a 1A. Rather than send it back, I decided to keep it.

Thats pretty interesting....yes, being human is a part of modern manufacturing. Errors happen all the time.
I'm curious though if Ruger's model number on the end of the box is 11356 (for the 1A 6.5) or 11362 (for the 1V 6.5). Interesting thing about it is, if you were to call the factory to verify a catalog number on the gun, they'll probably verify it as 1A because that was what was on their end label.
Chet15

Model number on the label was 11356...

Johnnybear

Bearcat
picketpin said:
Ruger has already discontinued the 204 Ruger in the #1. At one time not long ago it was offered as an "A". "AB", "B" and "V".

The 204 was the one propriatery cartridge that Ruger has come out with that actually reached wide scale public acceptance is/was loaded by most major ammo makers and is chambered by nearly every major manufacturers of firearms.

If they can't sell enough 204s to keep it in the #1 line up then I would postulate that the 6.5 Creedmore has little chnace of long term acceptance in the #1.

Ross

As I read the information for the cartridge the "Point" was how well it works in true short actions. Which, as Bill Ruger pointed out many times had little if anything to do with the use of a cartridge in the #1.

Given the current trend at Ruger, I would look for the cartridge to sell a few rifles and be discontinued and replaced with something else within a year or two.

Guys seeking true target preformance don't choose the #1. While a reaaly nice rifle even the best #1s aren't going to shoot true BR accuracy. So what you have here is a very specific target cartridge that offers no particular advantage in the #1, either in terms of the action or taking advantage of the potential accuracy, which won't be widely sold and will not reach wide public acceptance and will soon be discintuned for whatever else is either the new flavor of the months or something OLD that also makes no sense in the #1.

That being said, I'll probably buy one to go with the rest of the "V"s but for no practical purpose or advantage or a dozen other "V"s

I remember not to long ago when the 6.8 SPC was going to set the world on fire..............................................

RWT

Thanks for the pep talk picketpin :lol: . Really I'm OK with my purchase :wink:

picketpin

Buckeye
I'm glad you bought it and delighted you like it. I'm happy any time anybody buys a #1, especially a new one. The more that happens the longer we will have it in the Ruger line up.

I'm just saying that it is a niche cartridge in a very niche rifle and it makes more sense for the intended purpose in things other than a #1. I have no doudt it won't punch holes in paper and kill lots of varmints.

On the other hand I don't look for it to be any more accurate or inaccurate than any other #1 in a bore efficient cartridge. One has to remember that the #1 is a HUNTING rifle and while many will shoot pretty good groups, not all will do MOA with factory ammo UNLESS you find the right load that the individual rifle likes.

Barrel harmonic are critical in a #1. As long as there isn't something wrong, pressure points etc. It should shoot okay but a range report from somebody that has one that shoots a specific ammo or reload doesn't translate to the next #1, even if identical from the factory, because they are each individuals unto themselves.

I have many duplicates in the #1s I own. It is very very seldom that a given BEST load in a rifle is also the BEST load in another #1 in the same cartridge and configuration. I own at least five #1s in 257 Roberts. None shoots the same load BEST. Some shoot the same load, WELL.

Cousin Wayne and I both own #1 "B"s in 17 Mach IV, They were both built and chambered at the same time with the same profile of Shilen barrel by the same gunsmith using the same reamer.. For all intent and purposes they are identical. When I worked up the best load for mine it ended up being a 25 grain Remington bullet with IMR 4227 and a Remington 7 1/2 primer. We tried it in Wayne's rifle and it shot about 7" patterns. His rifle has a definite preference for a 25 grain Hornady, H335 and a CCI BR4 primer.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll enjoy it, just from past and recent history, I don't look for it to be around a long time, at least chambered in the #1.

Ross

Johnnybear

Bearcat
Ross

Your right about the No.1 not being the best platform for the Creedmoor but it is an interesting combination. I find the cartridge interesting as well. It should perform nicely on the grey ghosts of the Pacific Northwest that I hunt up here and serve as a fun rifle to try to fine tune at the range.

I don't shoot competitively and I'm not worried about putting every bullet through the same hole. I just like interesting rifles and this one should be a fun one IMHO :D .

I do appreciate your insight and vast knowledge of No.1's. It's folks like yourself that make this site so great. I still have a ton to learn and enjoying every minute of it.

Cheers

John