Ruger Model 77V in 25-06

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CW4USARET

Bearcat
Local gun store has one for sale. Has a heavy free floating barrel and what looks like a bench rest stock. Price is $975. Good deal or should I pass?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Modified rifles seldom fetch an amount even close to the $$ invested.
I bought an older 77V with warm dark walnut and ANIB condition in the same chambering a year ago, paid out $600 and a Contender barrel... for the purpose, it is one of my favorites. It shoots as well or maybe better than my Remington Varmint 700.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
CW4USARET said:
Local gun store has one for sale. Has a heavy free floating barrel and what looks like a bench rest stock. Price is $975. Good deal or should I pass?

Does it look like this: http://www.ruger.com/products/HawkeyeVarmintTarget/models.html

If so, looks like they dropped the 25-06 and if you want it, may not be able to order one later but might be able to get a used one, Bud's has other calibers for 816.00 & I think your guy is a little pricey, should be mre like 800.00. There are better choices when you reach 1K.
BTW, I load for my brother who has one of the Ruger Target in 25-06. With 100BT it will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yds. & going roughly 3400 fps.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
Though I like little Brother's 25-06 mentioned above, it will not hang with my Son's 25-06 Sendero. You might look at one of these for about $700.00 as well: http://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-long-range
You could install a Timney trigger and skim bed it and still be under the Ruger price. Savages work too but the Rem is easier to modify later, has a better resale & the M40 stock is a better factory option. I am saying all of this if the 25-06 is the round you want. Otherwise you could get a RPR for a grand and call it a day if you can find one.