Ruger Guide gun vs Gunsite Scout for hunting?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hoser

Bearcat
Just tossing around the idea of getting one hunting rifle to have in the safe (although I don't get out to hunt much these days). But friends are starting to go wild pig hunting (in CA) and elk. I want irons for sure.

I like the Guide Gun in 30-06 because of the irons and more traditional look. However, the Gunsite Scout in 308 is common caliber with other long guns like M1A and AR10. And it does have peep irons.

Anyone with pros or cons on either? Thanks in advance.

tinman

Buckeye
I have both and I use both.....but I did not know the GG came in 06.......Mine is chambered in 45/70 and depending on the load (and how much of a "rainbow" I want to imitate) will do anything I ask out to 200-250 yards, but I don't usually reach out that far. The GS will shoot a might further.... :roll: ....and it will also get the job done. It sorta depends on weather you prefer a lever gun or a bolt gun.

tinman

Buckeye
hoser said:
I meant the Ruger Guide Gun (bolt gun).

Gotcha....don't have that one. :oops:

I prefer a 308 .... gotta love them short action guns.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I think there are better rifles to be had for less money that weigh a lot less, but I've always been attracted to that guide gun. I think that in .30-06 will meet all of your hunting needs for hogs and elk. I'm partial to 180 grains for big boar hogs in .30 caliber, but depends on what your gun shoots best. I like like .308 too, but prefer .30-06.

hoser

Bearcat
planetcat said:
I think there are better rifles to be had for less money that weigh a lot less, but I've always been attracted to that guide gun. I think that in .30-06 will meet all of your hunting needs for hogs and elk. I'm partial to 180 grains for big boar hogs in .30 caliber, but depends on what your gun shoots best. I like like .308 too, but prefer .30-06.

Do they have iron sights without added expense to add them (should be factored in pricing)? Are you thinking about the new American models (but no irons) or Savage Hog Hunter? I do think Rem started putting irons back on as standard on some of their 700 models. But being a Ruger forum, just thought I'd get opinions on the original two.

Vortex

Bearcat
I have the gunsite scout and used it on a bear hunt I went on a couple years ago. The gun was easy to carry and loading and unloading with the detachable magazine was a snap vs a drop down floorplate spilling rounds out. My extra ammo was carried in a separate magazine in case I needed it rather then having a butt cuff or loose rounds in my pack. I sighted my irons for 50yards and had my nikon scope mounted in QR rings incase I had to remove it.
I have maybe 300 rounds through my rifle and haven't had any problems. It's surprisingly accurate with the 16" barrel. I used 180 grain core-lokt's on my hunt.
I believe they sell it with an 18" barrel now and that is what I would probably get it with if I was buying another.

I have handled the guide gun and it's a nice rifle as well. I haven't fired one yet but I hear good things about them.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
When you say you want irons does that mean you aren't planning on scoping it? If you are going to scope it the Scout is setup for a fwd mounted scout scope and the Guide Gun is not. If you are going to mount a scope conventionally the peep on the Scout rifle has to come off while the irons on the Guide Gun won't be affected. Good peep sights are available for the Ruger dovetails. A rear mounted peep will likely be superior to barrel mounted open sights for most hunting situations. Detachable mag vs hinged floorplate is personal preference for a hunting rifle as is caliber. 30-06 is not exactly uncommon. To me the hinged floorplate would be preferable for hunting. I don't think you'll see much weight difference between the two unless you go with the synthetic stock and 16" barrel on the Scout and then it won't be much. Naked the Scout is a bit lighter but loaded and ready to hunt the difference would be more about balance than weight. Laminated stocks are not light. The "pros & cons" are really preferences.
-If scoping it: Do you want a scout or conventional?
-If irons are your primary sights the Scout comes with a peep but a good peep can be had for the Guide Gun and the rail on the Scout becomes a superfluous "snagger" unless you remove it.
-Do you want the capacity of the detachable mag? Smaller mags are available I believe but any mag hanging below the stock is an issue for carrying and is another "snag" point.
-16" or 18" barrel in 308 or 20" in 30-06?

Vortex

Bearcat
As stated above you lose your rear peep sight on the Scout rifle if you mount a conventional scope. Unless you buy XS Sights extended rail. Then you keep your sight and can mount a scope either in the forward position or scout style.

Latest posts