Ruger factory re-bluing work

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jaytee

Single-Sixer
Anybody had any re-bluing work done lately at Ruger? Thinking about sending off my Red Label but when I called them and asked the price, they wouldn't give me one. I did call them a couple years ago and they quoted me 130.00. I just didn't want to send it off and then have them call me and say that'll be 250 bucks for the blue job. Thanks for any and all help.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I think the price can vary depending on the guns overall condition such as pitting ,deep scratches,dent,etc.. They come home, not only with very nice bluing but completely safety checked, and function checked and in the case of a revolver,often the screws are all replaced with new parts. The grip panels may also be replaced with new ones. So don't send in anything that is not factory like custom grips or sights. You may not get them back.
The last BH I sent in for front sight repair under warranty came back with a complete polish and re bluing job that is just several steps above any finish that Ruger offers standard.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Chuck 100 yd said:
The last BH I sent in for front sight repair under warranty came back with a complete polish and re bluing job that is just several steps above any finish that Ruger offers standard.

That is my experience as well. I recently received a Blackhawk back after some repair work and had to double check the serial number, the re-finish was that good.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ruger had their service fees posted on their website.

I too had a Ruger refinish and it came back better than any production ruger finish I've ever seen. They seem to correct any polishing errors or flaws from the regular production finishes and do a superb finish!

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
A couple years ago I sent in a Mark I for reblueing. It was completely prepped. All the sharp razor edges were smooth, and the surfaces were at a 600 grit finish. Unfortunately I received back a gun that had been bead blasted and blued to a 220 grit level, making all that work useless.

If you think about the amount of work it takes to do a beautiful re-blue, I can understand that most of their work is going to be on older beaters and not on stuff that is ready to go into the tank. Figures.

CU

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bummer!!! And they got instructions to just dunk it to blue it I presume. That deserved lodging a complaint.

This had surface rust and almost looked bead blasted when I sent it and came back like this. I added the stainless grip frame:

large.jpg

wildturk

Single-Sixer
I've considered many times sending my old three screw back for re-bluing wondering what the finished gun would look like. The gun has no issues other than a little holster wear at the muzzle. I don't think I'm even concerned about it reflecting negatively on the value. It's a 1958, SN 25xxx so it's nothing special.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
My opinion on this has always been, why send it to Ruger? Refinishing guns is not their principle business and a refinished gun is a refinished gun, even if the factory does it. So why not send it to a company that refinishing is one of their primary things. Might cost a few bucks more, but the chances of the job being much better is extremely high

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Why would they destroy finishing and prep work that had already been done? A simple phone call would have saved both of us the trouble. Bead blasting is primarily a way to cover up finishing faults, rarely as a desireable end product.

CU

Hondo44

Hawkeye
gtxmonte said:
My opinion on this has always been, why send it to Ruger? Refinishing guns is not their principle business and a refinished gun is a refinished gun, even if the factory does it. So why not send it to a company that refinishing is one of their primary things. Might cost a few bucks more, but the chances of the job being much better is extremely high

It's enough part of their business that they refurbish and/or refinish a lot of guns, likely more than any other refinishers, and they're good at it!

You have it a little backwards; if you want it to look refinished, send it anywhere but Ruger. Even if you pay twice as much and get the best refinish you can, it will look very nice, but WILL clearly look refinished. The less you pay, the more it will look like a poor refinish; the more you pay, it will look like a good refinish. In fact the better it looks the easier one can tell it's not a factory finish and HAS been refinished!

If you send it to Ruger it doesn't look refinished, it'll be a restored finish and look like a new Ruger. The polishing patterns, surface prep techniques, and bluing color are the same. It will not only NOT LOOK refinished, it will look original!

It's all individual preference, and nothing wrong with that.