Red dot on a mini 14 Ranch?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ammo dave

Bearcat
Have a stainless Mini 14 Ranch with an inexpensive variable scope; looking to switch to a reflex or red dot sight (with or without magnification). About a $200 budget for the sight + mount. What are my options?

Do you want "open" or "closed" red dot? I actually prefer the closed dot for rifles.
Do you prefer a twist knob or push button(s) for dot illumination? I have no preference on that one.
How much 'rise' do you want in the mount? Many of the dots come with both low mounts for normal hunting rifle use and riser mounts for MSR use but others are only furnished with high (co-witness) mounts which would likely be too high for your Mini unless you're hoping to use the factory sights below the optic.
I've been well satisfied with Bushnell TR 25 and Vortex Strikefire II closed dot sights both of which should be in your price range.

ammo dave

Bearcat
I think I'd prefer closed. No preference on buttons. I know the Ultradot is pricier but is there any real advantage to the larger 28mm tube? What mount do I need to mount the sight as far aft as possible?

I think I'd prefer closed. No preference on buttons. I know the Ultradot is pricier but is there any real advantage to the larger 28mm tube? What mount do I need to mount the sight as far aft as possible?

The mount might be the big question. It's been years since I owned a Mini-14 Ranch rifle, but I remember thinking one of the over-the-barrel/upper-handguard "scout mounts" might keep a red dot low enough to be comfortable. At the time I think only Ultimak made that style of mount, but (IIRC) I've seen them offered by other companies since. I've had fairly good luck finding used Ultimak AK mounts for reasonable prices ($60-$75) on GunBroker, but have no idea how often the used Mini-14 mounts might show up there. Obviously just another idea or two to possibly consider, and how you approach it all depends on your personal preferences, budget, etc.

Last edited:
I'll offer that twist knob controls are a bit more intuitive than buttons. I know if I twist the knob to 3, I have a low light visible dot. If I twist it the other way from zero 3 clicks, I have a daylight visible dot.
My Burris FastFire has a light sensor that adjusts the dot illumination automatically once it's activated.

mikeAZ

Single-Sixer
Personally, I use only the open style, I feel they "point" faster in competition. (I don't like looking through a tube). What ever you decide to use MAKE sure it will be bright enough in the sunlight. (I live in Arizona) My 1st.choice has always been C-More Railways.They have different size modules available from 3min. to 16 min. If your wants/needs change. Depending on the gun, rifle, pistol, revolver I use the small 3mm. dots on rifles, 5/6 mm on handguns. Factory service is very good, just about any issue can be addressed if needed. I have no problem buying used and they generally run about $150.00. You can buy elevated picatinny mounts if you wish a higher mount..... That said, I do use the mini dots were it;s not practical to use a larger style red dot. There are some with lifetime warranties. The choice is yours. I forgot to add, there are Chinese copies of the C-Mores, a real one will have the serial # hand engraved on the unit.

BRL

Single-Sixer
Had an UltraDot on my Mini-30 using Redhawk rings for an even lower profile.

The Mini's aren't exactly known for stellar accuracy so a 20X scope isn't really necessary.

Don't get me wrong, they're plenty accurate all the same, and a lot of fun with a red dot or low power scope IMHO.

Not sure if this picture will post, I have a new notebook because my PC died and I don't have a clue on how to use it.

uIXoHwf.jpg