recoil protection compare LCR handgrips > CrimsonT LaserG

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike-h

Bearcat
This is a follow-up finding, posted here in case helpful to others.

LCR and laser grips > Above I posted we decided against putting CT laser grips on our LCR due the many reports from others that the synthetic laser grip by CT is unsatisfactory in various ways when compared to the Ruger factory standard Hogue grip, which is great regarding grip and recoil protection.

About our SP 101, I said we hoped we could install laser grips on that gun, since we found CT does make a full overmold grip for that gun model in addition to its synthetic grip >

I posted - for test reasons 'we are putting the full rubber overmold laser grip on one of our SP 101s to compare that with our Hogue grips on that gun, and if acceptable to become familiar with the potential benefits of laser over iron sites, as you mentioned.'

Although our SP 101's came standard with Ruger's factory synthetic (non rubber) grips, we promptly replaced grips on both our guns with Hogue 'recoil absorbing rubber monogrips', which Hogue designed specifically for the SP 101. We found the Hogue grips really good regarding firm finger/hand grip to gun, trigger pull and much, much better regarding recoil shock to hands when firing +P or 357 magnum rounds - - especially for my wife. Additionally, POI was significantly improved.

Lately we were wondering if CT's Laser grip would provide grips equal to or better in those respects than Hogue's - - while providing laser capability.

Today we tested and compared CT's best laser grip vs. our Hogue grips >

SInce CT makes two different laser grip models (111 - synthetic; 303 rubber overmold) for the SP 101 we looked at both. We immediatly decided against the synthetic model for the same reason we replaced Ruger's standard synthetic grip with a great rubber grip from Hogue. Looking at CT's overmold model 303 we decided to test it and compare with our Hogue grips. We were fortunate our gun range agreed to allow us to install that CT grip on our SP 101 and comparison test fire various rounds.

At of our test firing at the range we found the overmold CT laser grip for the SP 101 was unacceptable to my wife and me regarding both grip, trigger pull and recoil shock to the hands - - compared to our great Hogue grips. We also found the actual grip was not as firm which negatively impacted POI. Even though the neat red dot from the laser pinpinted the target well we found the grip caused our grip to be less steady than with the Houge, which actually negatively impacted accuracy.

So, we did not purchase the laser grips - - not willing to give up our good Hogue grips with which for us provide a firm grip, acceptable recoil protection and assist very good and consistent accuracy.

Bottom-line > we suspect many SP101 owners also find Hogue grips much better than the Ruger standard. If they install Hogue grips our findings suggest best to consider comparison-testing both CT grips (models 111 and 303) before deciding to give up the Hogue. The challenge, of course, is to find a way to put laser grips temporarily on your SP 101 so you can test before committing to purchase.

In case forum members later find CT has upgraded its model 303 - and we can see some test results posted by users here - - then we might consider a re-test to again consider laser for our SP 101 guns. We hope that will occur in the near future.

bjec1248

Bearcat
my wife liked my lcr w/CT so much that I had to buy her 1 just like it, & she never thought she would shoot any gun besides her Sig Sauer . it's snappy w/a good bit of muzzle flip but nothing she can't deal with. it has relegated the 101 to back-up status. we've never even tried the standard grips, much less the Hogues, b/c we've never seen the need, especially in view of what we perceive to be the advantage of the CT grip (YMMV).

mike-h

Bearcat
ranger7 wrote at http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... d95#734969 - a different Ruger forum thread > >

"The "standard" grip on the LCR is a Hogue "Tamer" grip licensed or supplied by Hogue. It contains a special soft rubber insert between the backstrap and the rest of the grip. Don't know whether CT can dupicate that legally or design something different that will mitigate recoil as much.

Since S&W has now announced a polymer/aluminum framed 38 Spl snubby, the question arises whether it will ever have grips that absorb recoil like the LCR does. S&W does use a Hogue Tamer grip on the their X-frame 460 and 500 revolvers. These grips also fit S&W N frames but there doesn't seem to be one for J frames. I haven't seen yet, whether the new Smith is rated for .38 spl +P so maybe a better grip isn't necessary."

A very good and helpful post by Ranger7 regarding LCR grips - which further confirms the thrust of info posted by many here.

Latest posts