Re-bore a #1?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
Can a rebored rifle shoot as accurately as it originally did?

Looking at re-boring a 1-B 243 to 260 Rem. If it can't be done accurately (and cost less than a rebarrel job), then I'll just have to save up for a 1-A in 6.5x55.

wunbe

Buckeye
I have had ten or so rifles rebored --6-7 #1s, including several 243 1Bs -- by Al Siegrist in Whitmore MI.

Those few that I shot previously all shot better -- that is, they gave me tighter groups, -- after the rebore. (Most were 'donor' rilfes bought for projects.) None of the rifles have provided less than satisfactory accuracy and reliability. The chambers cut by Al to my specs were a vast improvemnt over the sloppy chambers Ruger was prone to in the 70s and 80s yet still within SAAMI specs. You can also have a custom twist rate and a bench rest crown w/o paying extra.

The cost was slightly less than you would expect to pay for a run of the mill barrel but provided service at least equal to higher dollar barrels.

wunbe

Fred M

Bearcat
I have 4 rebored rifles all dne by Ron Smith. Thge are simply target grade super accurate. A new one being done right now in 257Wby. They are quite a bit less money than a new barrel. Besides at the time of take down I do them octagon which adds some class and reduces some weight. I find most #1's heavier than I like. The barrel steel, I am told is as good as any rifle barrel steel. Although the quality of accuracy is dependant on the people that do the rebore job.

txpitdog

Single-Sixer
Aww dammit. All the fun of my idea for a long barrel 260 just went out the window. I'd be spending a bunch of money to recreate the damn 270,except with difficult to find ammo.

Still interested in the rebore, but maybe to the 257 Wby, 264 wm, or something a little more unique than the damn 270.