Quality control rant

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
After seeing pictures of the Lipsey's 3.75" Bisley I developed a strong need for one. A forum member had a nib one that he agreed to part with. Nothing about this post is in any way meant to suggest that the forum member is anything but a gentleman who delivered a product exactly as advertised.

My beef is with Ruger. The grips on the gun are so sloppily fitted that you can see daylight when you hold it up to the light. There is a gap between metal wnd lqminate half the thickness of a dime in several places.And for the cherry on top..... slugging the bore revealed a thread choke that stopped the slug like a brick wall. What is going on in New Hampshire? Does anyone at Ruger have a clue about how revolvers work? I have a pile of Ruger products and have been a loyal customer for over 30 years. I am a very brand loyal consumer. I hunt exclusively with bow and handguns and the handguns are Rugers.

It seems that Ruger is putting out a semi assembled product expecting the customer to incurr the aggravation and expense of finishing their job for them. This being a dealer exclusive I thought that there might be people invvolved who would actually do their job. I am not expecting custom quality from a gun with a suggested price of $700 but I don't think it is asking too much for it to be put together correctly.

End of rant.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
I agree.

My Ruger #1 in 35 Whelen had mis-fit wood and a big black blotch on the forearm. It was all cosmetic. Since it was cosmetic I paid for the shipping back. I wrote them a real nice letter stating the problems and what I expected. They took good care of me. (changed the wood and shipped it back)

I would write a real nice letter and send the gun back.

Corbi

sp327

Single-Sixer
I have to agree. I like Rugers but will not buy one sight unseen

Ruger as many gun manufactures are working 24/7 orders backed up!

That said them trying to catch up some may leave with a few issues mostly cosmetic!

Since BO got elected gun sales have been through the roof, been a good run for them! hopefully
they will get caught up and things will come back to normal. Not trying to make excuses just
mentioning what I think is happening! ps

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
The compression ring, or thread choke, results from premature thread-timing between cylinder frame and barrel. Mass assembly calls for timing the threads so that, when started by hand, the barrel snugs against the frame somewhere about 10-degrees Before Top Dead Center (BTDC). A wrench is used to bring the front sight to TDC.

The thread timing cause barrel to hand-snug at, say, 30 degrees BTDC, the barrel shoulder should be trimmed to hand tighten to about 10-degrees BTDC.

A gorilla with a wrench can crush-fit a barrel to TDC, but the bore is compressed at the frame/barrel juncture, which kills accuracy. A torque wrench is not necessary to properly assemble barrel to frame. Sensitivity is required. Just as a wino shouldn't polish the gun, a gorilla shouldn't assemble it.

I do not know whether a compression ring is removed when the barrel is unscrewed. If so, the barrel shoulder could be trimmed to re-time the threads, and the job completed without having to (take your pick):
a) fire lap
b) freebore
c) shorten barrel
d) replace barrel

Is it a disgrace to manufacture a revolver with a compression ring?
Answer: Yes.
David Bradshaw

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
Talked to Ruger QC label is on the way. Tried shooting the gun with expected results. It wants to shoot but just couldn't . Spent a lot of time cursing and scrubbing lead out of the forcing cone and thread choke.