Pros and cons of auto bolt release on a 10/22 TD

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dach Savage

Bearcat
Hi All, I have a 10/22 stainless TD and I am getting ready to upgrade the trigger and hammer etc with likely a Volquartsen assembly. It comes with an "automatic bolt release" which I am not sure how it works. Would appreciate input from someone that has installed this bolt release and opinions pro/con on it. I am wondering if there is a better way to go regarding the bolt release? Thanks Dach.

The bolt on a 10/22 gets released when you pull the bolt back and with your other hand (finger) you press in on the top of the bolt hold/release in front of the trigger to let the bolt go forward.

The "auto" bolt release works by just pulling back on the bolt and letting it go forward. It is done by modifying the bolt hold/release. To hold the bolt open you still have to press on the bottom of the bolt hold/release.

I happen to like the auto bolt release. I bought one aftermarket auto bolt release and saw how it was different (modified) from the OEM and now I just modify the ones that Ruger puts in the 10/22's with a dremel and the appropriate metal grinding bit and they work just fine (I'm cheap :) ).

Last edited:
I like the auto bolt release on the standard 10/22 but on my takedown I installed one and later removed it. When I take the takedown apart I lock the bolt back and leave it that way until I put it back together and you don't have to worry about the bolt moving forward. The auto bolt release is very easy to activate and I didn't want the bolt slamming down without having the breech face of the barrel to land on.
20220908_164902.jpg

Dach Savage

Bearcat
The bolt on a 10/22 gets released when you pull the bolt back and with your other hand (finger) you press in on the top of the bolt hold/release in front of the trigger to let the bolt go forward.
Hey Thanks Ronin. The auto bolt release looks appealing I was just worried if it could cause a safety or damage to the rifle issue. The auto bolt release link comes with the Volquartsen kit and even if it didn't its readily available from many cottage industry parts producers for around $10 bucks! I think I am going to try it out as I like the idea of one handed bolt release. And no I don't think you are cheap, I would say more frugal than anything. Especially if its as easy to mod the oem piece with a dremel. Thanks for the feedback and input. Now I am looking at the extended mag release mechs, especially the ones that wrap under the trigger guard like a Ruger #1 lever. They appear very handy for those of us that have fat fingers / wear gloves and don't seem like a danger of unintended mag drops which is what I was worried about. Dach.

Ethang

Blackhawk
more years ago than I can remember I did the auto bolt, extended magazine release and a left hand big button safety. I like them all.

Dach Savage

Bearcat
Since there is a pretty good likelihood that I will be wearing gloves while using this as a camping rifle I will look into that big button safety as well. Hopefully I will only end up doubling the cost of the rifle eh? LOL. Thanks again, Dach.

I like the auto bolt release on the standard 10/22 but on my takedown I installed one and later removed it. When I take the takedown apart I lock the bolt back and leave it that way until I put it back together and you don't have to worry about the bolt moving forward. The auto bolt release is very easy to activate and I didn't want the bolt slamming down without having the breech face of the barrel to land on.View attachment 25225
Agree the regular bolt lock is good on the TD. While I don't currently leave it locked back after disassembly for transport or storage I use it when assembling or disassembling so the extractor doesn't get damaged. Reading this I might just start leaving it locked back as sharpblade does.