Pre '64 Winchester 94 30-30

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I ran across a pre '64 today that is in fairly good shape. Don't know precise mfg date, since I didn't think to write down the serial number. Action is smooth, no rust, furniture is good. A couple small dings in the stock, but nothing serious. Blueing has seen better days. Round barrel. Nothing fancy, just a working gun. Bore looks acceptable. It's all original (sights, steel butt plate, etc.). Didn't have a camera with me, so no pics. The man wants $525 for it. What say y'all?

thats top dollar for a "working gun", BUT we know of some folks who pay anything to get the pre 64s and that is in their range.
How bad do YOU want it?? can always make them an offer, but I doubt they will go below $500, never know....
we are now seeing some marlins pushing OVER the $1000 mark........I picked up a 41 mag last OGCA for my friend ,and neighbor Fred, (Navy vet, Seabee served in Vietnam in the mid 60's) and he's been looking for 15 years...I got it for $850 and had guys fighting & wanting to buy it off of me,,,,,,, BAD !!!!

Good luck !!!

6gun

Hunter
Hard for me to get use to the idea of a Winchester costing that much since I paid under $200 for most of mine, the fact is $500 and up is what they are going for now days, compared in price to all the fake Winchester copies on the market now days $500+ looks cheap.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
rugerguy said:
thats top dollar for a "working gun", BUT we know of some folks who pay anything to get the pre 64s and that is in their range.
How bad do YOU want it?? can always make them an offer, but I doubt they will go below $500, never know....
we are now seeing some marlins pushing OVER the $1000 mark........I picked up a 41 mag last OGCA for my friend ,and neighbor Fred, (Navy vet, Seabee served in Vietnam in the mid 60's) and he's been looking for 15 years...I got it for $850 and had guys fighting & wanting to buy it off of me,,,,,,, BAD !!!!

Good luck !!!

I thought $525 was a little on the high side also. I'd like to get it as a mate for my 9422M, and my wheel guns, but I don't want to take a bath on it. Looking around on the net, I've seen '94's of various calibers and models anywhere from $300 to over $32k. Some here: http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/winchester-model-1894/

SATCOM

Blackhawk
GunnyGene & 6gun,

Just to keep discussion of pre-64 Winchester Model 94s going what was cartridge/caliber marking on the gun(s) you looked at? I grew up around my Dad's "old Winchester thirty thirty". Recently my wife was able to give our son her father's 94 in .32 Winchester Special. We then gave him my father's 94. When comparing the two old guns we noticed the "old thirty-thirty" was marked 30 WCF and not 30-30!

SATCOM

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
SATCOM said:
GunnyGene & 6gun,

Just to keep discussion of pre-64 Winchester Model 94s going what was cartridge/caliber marking on the gun(s) you looked at? I grew up around my Dad's "old Winchester thirty thirty". Recently my wife was able to give our son her father's 94 in .32 Winchester Special. We then gave him my father's 94. When comparing the two old guns we noticed the "old thirty-thirty" was marked 30 WCF and not 30-30!

SATCOM

It is marked 30-30. And it has the features of a pre-64 (see this: http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2010/08/differentiating-between-pre-64-and-post.html ), although I can't date it more closely yet since I didn't jot down the serial number today.

6gun

Hunter
SATCOM said:
GunnyGene & 6gun,

SATCOM

Yes my pre 64 is marked 30 WCF, it's one of my best gun investments bought it back in 1988 from a pawn shop for $175 it is a round barrel saddle ring carbine, has the carbine butt plate and the adjustable latter rear sight which came on it originally. I've seen these rear sights alone sell for over $400 it also has a original front pinned sight blade other than that nothing fancy about it.

The receiver, front barrel band and butt plate were all gray with no finish when I bought it so I guessing they were color case hardened, I polished them to a mirror finish back then and they still just as shiny today after all these years, the bluing on the barrel and magazine was and still is in excellent condition, it is one of the most accurate rifles I own I have used it for deer hunting many times, have no idea what it's worth dollar wise but would never sell it.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I think I'm going to go slow on this. The gun has been collecting dust at my LGS for a few years and I'm not in any hurry, nor do I need it for hunting, etc. And he has some other interesting collectibles that I've been interested in, so if this gets sold to somebody else, I have other options to spend my money on.

6gun

Hunter
Yah if there is really nothing unique about it I wouldn't rush to buy it, I might offer him $300 or so and see if he takes it, but other than that I'd just wait till the right one comes along at the right price and you get that got to have it right now feeling.

Tuco Tom

Single-Sixer
The condition is everything...
if it's in good conditon (90%) and in fact is a pre 64 I think $525 is a good price.
Go to Gunbroker.com and do some comparisons......

Pre 64s are demanding more all the time,price seems fair enough altho lack
of blueing does hurt it some. Heck a nice rifle you like and and functions well
is worth 5 bills all day long the pre 64s are nice. ps