Poor groups with mark II target competition model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

obdocab

Bearcat
I need some advice. I have a used mark 2 competition target model slab side that is giving horrible groups. I bought this gun used about 2 months ago and have worked with it to no avail. I looked at the crown under magnification and it appears that someone has cleaned this from the muzzle and nicked up the muzzle a little. Anyone offer any suggestions as to what I can do on my own to help or fix an abused muzzle

alizard

Bearcat
I would look around on the net and see what the recommended crown angle is then dig through my Dremel tips and find a nice fine tapered stone and give it a very light touch. Clamp the barrel in a panavise for stability and just do it easy.

Or, send it back to Ruger but the shipping is ridiculously expensive to send a gun anywhere.

Before doing anything I would shoot it from a benchrest to see what the best groups are.

wwb

Hunter
Recut the crown yourself..... requires the proper size pilot:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=628/Product/79-deg-MUZZLE-CROWNING-CUTTER

obdocab

Bearcat
I have heard of a technique of using a ball bearing welded on I small rod, then use some very fine lapping compound, anyone have experience with this technique?

obdocab

Bearcat
I have heard of a technique of using a ball bearing welded on I small rod, then use some very fine lapping compound, anyone have experience with this technique?

Deadeye Tom

Bearcat
Don't use use a ball bearing. You can get a properly sized brass lap from Brownell's. Clamp the barrel in a vise using proper padding and lap the crown with jewelry rouge and a low speed drill or power screwdriver. Go slow and look frequently. I have done a couple of pistols this way including an old Woodsman. It went from 5" groups to 1.5". If the nicks are too deep a good gunsmith should charge about $40 for a full recrown.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I don't like the ball bearing idea either (sorry).

The normal recommendation is to get a brass screw with a round head the proper size (obvioiusly a little bigger than the bore). Then get some valve lapping compond and a drill press. Make sense?

wwb said:
Recut the crown yourself..... requires the proper size pilot:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=628/Product/79-deg-MUZZLE-CROWNING-CUTTER
Which 'brass pilot' does one need for the Ruger? There are three listed: .211", .213", .and 215".

Deadeye Tom

Bearcat
The best way to figure out the pilot size is to mic the barrel diameter. Slugging the bore is more accurate but you need the diameter across the rifle lands. A so called tight .22 barrel should be in the .215 ballpark. A more standard barrel should be around .217 and makes the .215 pilot a good choice, but you don't want more clearance than required to turn and keep the muzzle crowning tool straight.