Plastic 10/22 trigger group pics side by side.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
9x19":14ixvy1e said:
It looks like a high-quality injection molding... I wonder what synthetic formulation they are using.

Hi,

I guess beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. That thing looks like something the neighbor's dog left on the grass this morning... :cry: Hope it WORKS better than it looks! (Let's see how well the crystal ball's doing: that extended mag release looks like trouble waiting to happen. Read "it's gonna break way too easily." W/ luck, I'll be WRONG.)

Suppose VQ's paying attention and gearing up for a few extra sales?

Rick C

9x19

Hunter
Rick,

I've been using Ram-Line and Eagle brand mag releases for years and never had one break. Ruger's newest is a close copy to both of those, so unless it's a very poor grade of synthetic, I wouldn't expect any issues... and given Ruger's excellent track record with the durability of their other synthetics , I woudln't expect anything less than a durable product here either.

Time, and use, will tell, of course.

Nice pics! Those helped a lot!

I see the stainless models have been coming out with the extended magazine release. The trigger guard, trigger, and mag release on these are still a grayish/silver color. Are these triger assemblies plastic also? If so, is the color molded in on these or is it painted silver?

Anyone have pics of the new stainless version?

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
As far as I know the silver ones are plastic also, with the color molded in. I'm told the triggers themselves on the plastic assmebly ones are groved, where the older ones are smooth. I don't know that for a fact, but judging by the OP's pictures it appears to be. (You might find an odd one from the early runs where they were using up old stock.)

I've been tempted to buy one myself, but I keep finding old used ones that I can't live without. :)

ccginc

Bearcat
New to the forum and I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting this information here.

We wanted the old style (metal) parts too. I'll have everything posted on the web site shortly http://www.clarkcustomguns.com but here is a list of what we have ready to ship. . . $ 34.95 per set

Trigger guard (black)
Magazine Latch (black)
Trigger (black)

Trigger guard (silver)
Magazine Latch (silver)
Trigger (silver)

Toll Free 888 458 4126 M-F 8 am - 4 pm CST

j.r. ruger guy

Bearcat
im sure they said the same thing about the rubber/plastic grips that came standard on the 3- screw single sixes , when they came out. people fear the unknown , see if the trigger group is still in working order in about 50 years - like the old 3- screw grips on your favorite 22. :p
jim

cplane

Bearcat
Just curious here, as I have just purchased a 10/22 recently, But is there an after market drop in trigger block that allready has a good trigger job in it? Mine must have a 10 lb. trigger pull! I hate to get off track on this thread, But what would be the best approach for improving my trigger pull and performance?

NY Marksman

Bearcat
BlkHawk73":3bwp26gk said:
Still don't care personally. I can't see Ruger making these in such a way or with a material that isn't durable. Again, it's a $200 .22 folks not a classy dakota. Metal is seeing continual price increases so gotta find a happy medium someplace to stay competitive in the target price range.

They may start out as a $200.00 rifle but they can become as classy as your prepared to make them.
Ruger100-1.jpg

I certainly wouldn't have invested the time, effort and money in this or any other rifle that had one it more of it's important pieces made from plastic (regardless of what they call it).

ccginc

Bearcat
cplane":1n8orhf7 said:
Just curious here, as I have just purchased a 10/22 recently, But is there an after market drop in trigger block that allready has a good trigger job in it? Mine must have a 10 lb. trigger pull! I hate to get off track on this thread, But what would be the best approach for improving my trigger pull and performance?

Yes. We have several options. All result in a nice, crisp 2.5 - 2.75 lb pull with overtravel screw.
Trigger job on your trigger assembly $ 65
Trigger job on your trigger assembly + replacement metal trigger guard, mag catch and trigger $ 95
Ruger OEM Metal Trigger Assembly with trigger job $ 135

Visit our web site @ http://www.clarkcustomguns.com OR call toll free 888 458 4126 M-F 8 am - 4 pm CST.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
NY Marksman":126zu6k3 said:
BlkHawk73":126zu6k3 said:
Still don't care personally. I can't see Ruger making these in such a way or with a material that isn't durable. Again, it's a $200 .22 folks not a classy dakota. Metal is seeing continual price increases so gotta find a happy medium someplace to stay competitive in the target price range.

They may start out as a $200.00 rifle but they can become as classy as your prepared to make them.
I certainly wouldn't have invested the time, effort and money in this or any other rifle that had one it more of it's important pieces made from plastic (regardless of what they call it).

I have both and the plastic (polymer) isn't an issue to me and after modifying both types I haven't seen any difference in the operation to make any note of. I also have put a dollar or two into my Charger and 10/22s. YMMV :wink:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I prefer the re-engineered product. By definition it is an improvement over the pot-metal casting. More precise. Closer, repeatable tolerances. Dimensionally more stable under temperature extremes. No need for lubricant = less grime?
I'll take technology over nostalgia this time.

Change is good. :)

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
NY Marksman":157e4h7v said:
They may start out as a $200.00 rifle but they can become as classy as your prepared to make them...........

But that's the key here. YOU made it into that. Ruger didn't. Ruger is in the business of making an inexpensive plinking, hunting carbine. The fact that you took that inexpensive carbine and spent what? Three? Four? Five times what the original rifle costs doesn't change the fact of what it was made for originally.

What you have there is a NASCAR racer of 10/22's. It sort of look like a 10/22, but its not. It's a custom gun that YOU made and you have every right to be proud of it. It's one of the prettiest rifles I'ver ever seen. But there is about as much "Ruger" in that as there is "Chevy" in the cars Dale Earnhardt and Jimmy Johnson drive.

NY Marksman

Bearcat
CajunBass":4iq8zuy0 said:
NY Marksman":4iq8zuy0 said:
They may start out as a $200.00 rifle but they can become as classy as your prepared to make them...........

But that's the key here. YOU made it into that. Ruger didn't. Ruger is in the business of making an inexpensive plinking, hunting carbine. The fact that you took that inexpensive carbine and spent what? Three? Four? Five times what the original rifle costs doesn't change the fact of what it was made for originally.

What you have there is a NASCAR racer of 10/22's. It sort of look like a 10/22, but its not. It's a custom gun that YOU made and you have every right to be proud of it. It's one of the prettiest rifles I'ver ever seen. But there is about as much "Ruger" in that as there is "Chevy" in the cars Dale Earnhardt and Jimmy Johnson drive.

You were close, actually I have 7-1/2 times what the donor rifle costs invested in that one.

I have to disagree with you from this standpoint, although the stock, barrel and scope are the eye catchers the guts of the rifle are all genuine Ruger. It's true that many of them have been precision reworked but they all started out as factory parts. My point is that unless I started out with a quality product I wouldn't have been able to accomplish creating the end product which reflects the wonderful things that can be done with what is generally considered a cheap plinker. By going to a cheaper manufacturing process (plastic TG) they have taken away from the overall quality of the rifle.

I admit that my views are only just that, MY OPINIONS. I'm sure there are many people who will find the new plastic Trigger housings an acceptable alternative but I am old school and to me plastic should be kept for Bic lighters and DVD's.

CootShooter

Bearcat
CajunBass":k85bw3us said:
What you have there is a NASCAR racer of 10/22's.

I don't think I would insult that rifle by considering it a NASCAR racer... something more along the lines of open wheel racing like F1.

mrofna

Bearcat
i just got mine a week ago and it has a plastic trigger..
my serial number is 353-174xx.
mine is the carbine with black synthetic stock...

chris

A

Anonymous

I just put one of our "Target" 10/22 rifles with the new Hawkeye Grey and laminated stock on the trigger pull gauge. We just happen to have one the good metal one's also. The metal one has a consistent 7lb pull. The new space age polymer with it's closer tolerances has a trigger pull between 5lb and 6 1/4lb. Never got the same reading twice. I wonder what would cause such a inconsistent trigger pull? :roll:

Mr. Boom

Bearcat
CajunBass":1k28o0gl said:
To tell you the truth, I probably wouldn't have noticed it myself, but then I've gotten used to the same basic type of "plastic" in handguns like Glocks, XD's, MK III 22/45's and even my Hi-Point. The stuff works well.

Well hello fellow HP owner! I like my CF-380.

Forester

Bearcat
A very quick and easy improvement to the trigger pull is the Volquartsen hammer. Very crisp and much lighter than the factory pull.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
Forester":37s3rgda said:
A very quick and easy improvement to the trigger pull is the Volquartsen hammer. Very crisp and much lighter than the factory pull.

That's what I did with three out of my four 10/22s. :wink: