p95DAO

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dwd

Single-Sixer
I picked up a P95DAO and when I field stripped it to clean it the recoil spring assembly came apart. So now I have a camblock, 2 springs and a bushing that goes on the end. I stripped down my P95DC and determined there is a snap ring that goes under the bushing that I must be missing. Where can I get a snap ring/keeper that I need? Brownell's has the whole assembly for $37.00 but all I really need is the keeper.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
There's a pretty good chance that the groove in the rod may be beat up enough not to hold the snap ring anymore. I'm assuming this is a used gun.
You can run the gun with the rod sans clip and it should be fine but you probably would need a new rod to keep the clip (snapring) in place.

I've seen folks here say the pistol will function fine with out the ring on the end.

As mentioned above you may need a new rod in order to keep the snap ring on.... I've never had one come off of my P95s.

dwd

Single-Sixer
Cheese, thanks for the info. Yes, it is a well used gun. "sans clip", is that what its called? I've looked at the end of the rod and it doesn't look too bad from what I can see.
blume, I wondered if it would work without it, thanks.

I also have a couple of "blemishes" on the slide that I can't get out. Looks like a couple of fingerprints that tarnished the stainless steel but it could've been anything. I've never had anything like this on stainless before. My cleaner is not getting it off. Any ideas what might work?

roylt

Hunter
The little round guide piece that is held on by the clip has a specific direction it needs to be to give clearance for the clip. I put one on backwords and the clip popped off when I took the gun apart the next time. I got the thing back the way it should be. I also have another gun that is used and missing the clip. Works fine but it is hard to get the guide rod assy installed with the springs loose.

So basically run it, it will work, is my answer. You could also call Ruger and get a clip. Most likely less than 5 bucks shipping included.

Al James

Hunter
As Roylt stated above, the guns will run fine without them and are much easier to assemble. If I remember right, it is proper to get it put back together with the clip in place as the slide is machined for use with clip.

As for the finish issue 0000 steel wool and a good oil would be my first try. If that doesn't work go with the steel wool and some flitz. Just remember that the flitz is a polish and if you are working on the flats you may end up having to do some blending. The ruger SS seems to take a polish well I have polished entire SS P series slides with the flitz that were rusted from neglect and had good results. Let us know how it turns out.

dwd

Single-Sixer
Well, Ruger customer service said it would be here in a couple weeks. So we'll see what happens. No charge, I guess, cause she didn't ask for anything.

Thanks Al. I'll try the steel wool. Where do you get your flitz?

dwd

Single-Sixer
Al, the steel wool worked really good. It got about 80% of it. If I do it again someday I might be able to get some more of it.

I am really anxious to shoot this double action only. Right now I don't know why anyone would want one. Other than it is kind of cool looking.

The trigger is kind of "gritty", is there anything I can do for that?

dwd

Single-Sixer
Well the clip came in last week and I got it on this evening. No problem, thanks to Roylt for letting me know there was a specific direction that it needed to be put on.
I've been working the trigger, dry firing a little, trying to smooth out the trigger pull. I think it's helped. It's still not perfect, it may never get perfect.
It came with night sights and they seem to work pretty good in the dark but they are a little hard to see in the daylight. Any suggestions how to make the night sights more visible in the daytime?

Glad you got it fixed....

My solution to sighting in with a P95 is to set up 4" targets about 15 ft away and learn to hit them with out using the sights. With a little practice, it is easy to do and if heaven forbid you need to use the gun, I can promise you will not be using the sights anyway.

roylt

Hunter
If they are trijicon you can send them in to get refreshed. (replaced)

dwd

Single-Sixer
Thanks Roy. The front sight says trijicon so I assume they are trijicon sights. How do I do that? Take'm off and send'm in?

roylt

Hunter
The front is pinned and I wouldn't take it off and put it back. Call or e-mail Trijicon and see what they suggest. I think they like to have the slide. I check on this before and I think it is about half price from new.

If you don't like the sights maybe by something else like a Hi-viz or something to see if that is what you like. Or maybe call Ruger and tell them you would like factory set and see what that would run.

Lot of options here really. For just a few dollars you could buy paint and change them to any color you like.

Dirty Bob

Bearcat
Why the DAO?

The DAO was supposedly popular with police departments, as an "automatic revolver." The manual of arms is also somewhat simplified, as there is no decocking when chambering a round.

The other potential benefit is a consistent trigger pull, but I have not had issues with the DA/SA action of the P95.

All my best,
Dirty Bob

Al James

Hunter
Dirty Bob said:
Why the DAO?

The DAO was supposedly popular with police departments, as an "automatic revolver." The manual of arms is also somewhat simplified, as there is no decocking when chambering a round.

The other potential benefit is a consistent trigger pull, but I have not had issues with the DA/SA action of the P95.

All my best,
Dirty Bob

For me its just because their the slimmest, slickest, simplest P guns. I never gave them much thought until I came into a P94DAO that shot and handled great. You could say I took a liking to them :wink:

MiscdoggiesandRugerDAOs014.jpg

Dirty Bob

Bearcat
Great-looking guns! I must say that the slick-slide Rugers look the best to me, but I prefer a DA/SA trigger on a larger gun. I do, however, like DAO a lot in small revolvers and small autopistols.

Thanks for the photo. You're really tempting me.

Regards,
Dirty Bob