P95 Purchase

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
pistolpete":b5i53hp0 said:
I have to say they are some beautiful guns.

A couple of times I've almost bought a p89, but being as Ruger discontinued them I'm a little leary.

I've always said that the metal P-series guns are very handsome guns and I still think that, albeit a bit large for CC.

Regarding being 'leary' of a P89 just because it's discontinued ... have absolutely NO FEAR on that point ... just try to find a more recent one, and it will give you perfectly good service. If there's a 9MM on the planet that you don't have to worry about from a reliabililty and stoutness point of view, it is the P89.

REV

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
revhigh":3dv6qkdt said:
... it was never known for being very accurate
Rev ... I don't know how many rounds that you have put down range with either the P90 or the P345, but from a personal perspective, I bought my P345 after a 75 round (each) direct comparison with the P90. I found the P345 accuracy virtually identical to the P90 (only tested up to 35') and when I considered what I believe to be the superior ergonomics, weight and balance of the P345, it was the clear winner for me (did like the trigger on the P90 a bit better but not enough to change my final decision).

revhigh":3dv6qkdt said:
Stick with the older metal P's and the P-95 if you want a good reliable combat gun that won't let you down. Preferably in 9MM, unless you go P-90. REV
Guess I got one of the good P345s :lol:. With the exception of 2 FTEs in the first 25 rounds, it's been perfect in over 2,000 rounds (at the price of .45 ammo, it'll take a while for it to catch up to my P95 at over 7,000 rounds without a hiccup :wink:).

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hey Buck,

I've shot my friends P90 extensively, and while it is Ruger's most accurate P-series gun by far, I much prefer the 1911 platform to the P-series platform, and I know my 1911's are definitely more accurate than the P90 my buddy has. It's a very nice gun, and if I ever found one at the right price (read $200 or less), I'd buy it just to have it.

I noticed that you've been here since March of 2008, so you pretty much missed (by a long shot) the huge mess with the P345. Ruger had pallets full of 345's waiting for repair (Ruger's own words). I know that because my P91 was BEHIND all those pallets of 345's, waiting to be re-barrelled for about 5 months (which it never was). I was here all through that, and saw all the headaches and hassles that people went through with the click-no-bang syndrome. Just because of THAT, I would NEVER own a P345, the same as I'd never own an SR9 because of what's going on now. I just don't need ANY gun with a closet full of known problems.

I'm glad yours works fine, and I don't know what kind of volumes you shoot, but I shoot a LOT ... probably 1000 rounds a month or more, so any issue a gun will have, I will discover, and I don't like discovering issues ....

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
That all the same gun Rev?

I have a friend with a P345 I have watched shoot the center out of targets with over and over.

I would never tell him his gun don't hit dead center every time he pulls the trigger.

He let me shoot it I limp wristed it the very first time. He said first failure. I said I am the failure not the gun.

It also had a better trigger than any other Ruger I have shot. Probably due to his shooting it a lot.

I will probably go P345 for my first .45 since I have become fond of Ruger polymers with a hammer on them.

I have shot Kimber and other .45s that were no more accurate than his P345.

Any 1911 is only as good as the magazines one has for it.

Ruger magazines seldom fail.

imho

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
What, you mean the 1000 rounds or so ?? Nah, I usually take 3 or 4 guns at any given range session. Usually one revolver, and 2 or 3 autos. Generally ALWAYS one CZ75B, and usually a Gold Cup and the newly acquired Springfield 1911. And either the G26 or the KT P3AT depending on which one I'm carrying at the time.

Not sure what you're saying about 1911 mags ... would you buy anything other than what you KNOW for a fact works EVERY TIME ?? I know I don't. If that's a backhanded swipe at 1911's, saying you can get bad mags, that's pretty silly. THere's only one kind of mag for ANY GUN, and that's the kind that work.

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I meant the 1000 a month count sure.
I didn't take a swipe at a 1911 I said everyone I have seen fail failed over the mag. I haven't been around a metric ton of them though. But I have seen a few fail and that reason was the mag.

I never pick on anyone's favorite pistol. To be a favorite it has to had stood you in good stead.

Get your butt to Kansas so we can meet face to face and see who is who and what is what.

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
tkarter":2dbzrtc5 said:
Get your butt to Kansas so we can meet face to face and see who is who and what is what.

tk

I'm hoping to this summer ... how close are you to Kansas City ... that's where we'd be going. Won't be bringing any guns though, don't need the airline hassle. Got any buddies with a good 1911 out there ?? Or a CZ75B ?

Airlines fly BOTH ways, ya know !! :D

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
60 miles west of KC. Let me know I will pick you up at the airport.

I only know one person with a CZ and not very well.

I will be happy to put you up for a few days too.

My 1911 experience all comes from family in Colorado so I don't have one yet but may by summer. Which means I will have a P345 also.

I will be carrying my P95 though. It is just my comfy gun. I may not be able to shoot anyone in the eye with it but I reckon the forehead is good nuff. :D

The P89 is cleaned and waiting upon your visit.

That is the fish we were going to fry.

:D

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
tkarter":37k66gv0 said:
I reckon the forehead is good nuff. :D

The P89 is cleaned and waiting upon your visit.

That is the fish we were going to fry.

Yup, foreheads work !!

There's more fish in the sea than P89's LOL. :D

I'll try to find out where my friends live and get back to you.

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Fair enough but consider me also a friend.

The P89 can mangle all the other fish without even being fired. :D

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
tkarter":24xcgnlj said:
Fair enough but consider me also a friend.

The P89 can mangle all the other fish without even being fired. :D

tk

Always have tk !! Friend that is ! Can't wait to see and shoot that tack driver. I mean that.

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I might let ya shoot it. Better spend a couple months praising Ruger P series if ya wanna shoot the carry gun. LOL

tk

jbender

Bearcat
my p95 was the first handgun i ever owned got it the day i joined this forum a couple months ago. Had a couple operator errors with it but since i figured out what i was doing it is amazing i love it and as i type this its on my side in a bianchi black widow holster from arizonagunrunners.com. absolutely love it as do my friends who are cops and shoot glocks all the time they shoot my p95 hear what i paid for it and 2 of them are buying p95's for their off duty carry weapon

tkarter

Single-Sixer
The P95 is no harder to carry than a G19. A good holster and belt goes along ways with carrying any service sized pistol.

Standing flat footed on a range and shooting a pistol is not what they were made for.

Being able to put all your shots into a paper plate while moving quick is the measure of a good handgun.
There are lots of reliable handguns in this world.
Ruger makes some reliable handguns. In my opinion.

tk

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
revhigh":1nzya0s3 said:
I've shot my friends P90 extensively, and while it is Ruger's most accurate P-series gun by far ... REV
If you haven't shot the P345, how can you guage it's accuracy relative to the P90?

I much prefer the 1911 platform to the P-series platform, and I know my 1911's are definitely more accurate than the P90 my buddy has. REV
I agree with you 100% that a good 1911 (heck even my 1911 micro-compact) will beat the best P series in terms of accuracy.

I'm glad yours works fine and I don't know what kind of volumes you shoot, but I shoot a LOT ... probably 1000 rounds a month or more, so any issue a gun will have, I will discover, and I don't like discovering issues .... REV
I generally shoot at least 1,800 rounds a month (mix of .45, 9mm and .22) and would not keep a gun that had any significant issues (I don't need any extra aggrevation in my life :lol:).