one last SR9 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
i can shoot 147 grain ammo from the SR9 right? i know people are shooting 115, and 124 but i found a deal on some 147 grain and just making sure its ok.

piratedude

Single-Sixer
147 grain isn't plus P or anything.. well it could be, but usually not.

Most people buy 147 who own suppressors, although other people shoot it too.

Its a good solid round and any modern revolver should be able to handle it.

Remember its not the weight of the bullet that is usually the problem (unless its too long), its the pressure that matters.

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
an sr9 should be able to shoot +p ammo in addition to the 147 grain still then right?

i also have an ammo question i understand +p is higher powered than standard but is +p+ more than that or just another thing to call +p?

Rhino

Bearcat
This was posted by jumping frog in a thread labled SR9 + P capability which is just down from this post.

SAAMI 9mm Luger 35,000 psi
9 mm NATO 36,550 psi
SAAMI 9mm Luger +P 38,500 psi

9mm Luger +P+ ???? no defined standard.

The proofing test pressure used in both the 9 mm Luger C.I.P. proof test and 9mm NATO proof test is 45,687 psi.

According to the official C.I.P. (Commission Internationale Permanente Pour L'Epreuve Des Armes A Feu Portatives) guidelines the 9x19mm Parabellum case can handle up to 235 MPa (34,083 psi) piezo pressure. In C.I.P. regulated countries every pistol cartridge combo has to be proofed at 130% of this maximum C.I.P. pressure to certify for sale to consumers.

Since it has to pass a 30% safety margin proof test, it is safe to say that the Ruger SR9 is going to handle "normal" ammo that is reasonably close to specifications.

I would say its probably a safe bet to get the ballistics info on any type of +p+ ammo just to make sure it dose not exceed the capabilites of the pistol, seeing's how it looks like there are no defined standards for it.

Regards.

GaryT

Bearcat
I read in another forum that competitors routinely use 147-gr 9mm for the occasions when they have to shoot steel "bobber" targets. Apparently the slight extra weight aids in reliable knock-down of the plates. I hope to re-enter the competition arena this month, and I'll be using my SR9 with 147-grain loads.