Old Model 357 #7163 Grip question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
You know...Ruger supposedly took the OM MR3-DB brass grip frame and turned a few into NM grip frames. I've not seen one yet though with factory provenance.
Same difference....
except I'm not sure how they did the hole to hold the legs of the trigger return spring.
Chet15

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
chet15":orrwllm2 said:
You know...Ruger supposedly took the OM MR3-DB brass grip frame and turned a few into NM grip frames. I've not seen one yet though with factory provenance.
Same difference....
except I'm not sure how they did the hole to hold the legs of the trigger return spring.
Chet15

So did a New Model ever ship as a brassie? Or were they sold to the first few lucky New Model owners who ordered one?

glennont, as I said, best to remove the grip panels and take a few pictures, close up and at an angle from the front, both sides.........and have not seen enough Old Armies that I ever recalll the "markings" they came stamped with, just they were steel, had the hole behind the trigger and worked on Old models......the old model 'alloy frames had the "usual" markings ....new models and the new, new models, you need a picture guide, they really got it scewed up today..........their technical writer should have been "drawn & quartered..." ok , ok , at least tar & feathered..........duh

hey, it just dawned on me, they did use some sort of "replacement" grip frame for the old models that were returned and had NO grip frame or was "broken" ( unuseable) and it was a current alloy casting,,,,,,,just could be an "XRN-3" ( they did forget the 'red', but would have the 'flare ....NOT be straight backed like the 'original, as then they had NO grips to put on the gun, and ANY new model version could fit......) I remembered we had sent a few back years ago, to be "rebuilt" litterly from scratch, and they had this type of "new grip frame" now this was some years ago.......never paid attention, nor took notes ( or pictures....) :(

glennont

Bearcat
I have the photos but I can't figure out or find how to upload. Would someone point me in the right direction.

The grip frame.
Serial number,
Ill fitting OM grip,
Shot of angled pluger,
Both sides.

flatgate

Hawkeye
glennont":k5qq2amn said:
I have the photos but I can't figure out or find how to upload. Would someone point me in the right direction.

Look in Ruger Forum's Gallery Section for the instructions on how to post images.

I have received images of the grip frame, unfortunately they do NOT include the detail of the upper area where the NM style of trigger springs hook over the stud.

What I do see is a XRN-3 grip frame. Wazzat? A steel XR3-RED with the Old Model style of trigger spring..... ala recent production Old Army.

Old Model grips should fit, just not pre-'63 XR-3 grips which are a copy of Colt's SAA.

Look at this image.
BrassGripFramesLR.jpg

Mostly Aftermarket items, but, it does show the differences in the trigger spring attachment provisions that appear on OM's and NM's.

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
Thanks Flatgate. I remember the steel guard OA frame looking pretty similar in its web layout (the round protrusion in the upper part of the cutout) to the 2nd frame from the top, the brass draggoon style with the NM trigger return spring installed.
Chet15

So the XRN-3 is a "steel XR3-RED"?

Wow, that's an interesting piece, and desirable for those "parts box customs" we frequently engage in . . . like the gun in question here.

:)

glennont

Bearcat
Thanks Flatgate. Here are the images; grip frame, serial #, Ill fitting pre '62 grips, angled plunger, profile. Thank you everybody again.

gun1.jpg

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

g6.jpg

g4.jpg

Wow.

Does this gun have the "squiggly lines" front sight or the "plain" front sight? "Offset slot" ejector rod housing, or "straight slot" housing?

It's right at the transition point.

Wonderful example.

americal

Hunter
WELL :) I got my answer :!: it is a nice old FLATTOP --early one too-- Better be happy with this gun :D I am a dummy still :lol: what's with the r. grips not fitting :? never heard of such a grip frame :oops:

street

Hunter
You need to put an ad in the classifieds section for a XR3 grip frame and then put those hard rubber grips on it and you will have one nice Old Flattop. Or find a pre-63 Single-six with a nice grip frame and swap the grip frames. Then sell the Single-six, or keep it for a shooter.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1)":2viomi3g said:
So the XRN-3 is a "steel XR3-RED"?

Wow, that's an interesting piece, and desirable for those "parts box customs" we frequently engage in . . . like the gun in question here.

Kinda common in Old Army's (Old Model style) and on a zillion Vaqueros, 4-5/8" Supers and 5-1/2 Supers (New Model style).

The NM styles are easier to find and I know this ol' guy that can build a little "adaptor" so they work on the OM's ..........

:D

flatgate

PS Here's a pic of a NM steel XR3-RED mounted on a OM. Click Here

Now I gotta go dig out my Old Army . . .

:roll:

I'm back. It's wearing an aluminum XR3-RED.

140-045XX, very early 1973, second year of production.

When were the steel versions introduced?

chet15

Hawkeye
Ruger made the transition to the steel grip frame on their blued old Army's between the sn's of 145-51xxx and 145-60619. They were also given wide triggers when they did this. Would be the '84 to '89 time period.
Chet15