No 1 45/70

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
Most would say 12-20 tops for the Un-cataloged 1H. I have no idea on the 1S 45-70 but it is not one of the more common ones.

I see them as often as I see the 1V in 7mag and 300 Win and that is not that often

Good luck in your search if you are looking for one

Dave

picketpin

Buckeye
Dave: are you talking 1976 "Libertys"? The first number you gave is the number of non prefix 45-70s in "H" profile. The 1976 45-70 were standard "S" rifles.

Uncommon but I wouldn't think rare. The Claytom book says the "Liberty" "S" 45-70 is worth "5" points, in ther words, uncommon.

While I don't specifically look for Libertys and seldom if ever look at 45-70s I suspect there are more than there are 7nn Mag or 300 Win Mags in the "V" configuration based on my observations. Of course mine's just a guess/gut fealing given Ruger will never tell.

Ross

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
Ross,I have a unfired Liberty 45/70,looked a loooong time before I found one.During that period I ran across two 300V's, one I passed on the other I have.Wood was the deciding factor.

As for Clayton's book,that was printed in 1983,I'm sure things have changed as it seems everything is getting harder to find.Seems a lot of the older guns are in hands of people who have them for what they are,not for what they are worth as far as collectability.I have a friend that has a pre-prefix 222 that he bought new,will never let it go and it looks as if it were used as a club.He is a farmer so you can go figure. :roll:

Bill

picketpin

Buckeye
It's true that many most may have disapeared into peopleps "collections" whether shooters or strictly collectors. Still doesn't alter the total number produced . If off the market right now, they will show up again either based on price/value or like many many of the early and non prefix #1s, as the owners age out of the "Game". Ifg they don't sell off, most fmilies do after the owner dies or is in the rest home. ;-(

Guys that were in their 30s when they bought their non prefix in say 1970 are now 70+ and begining to sell off/dispurse their guns.

I am not there yet but in another ten to 15 years the vast majority of what I own will be on the open market.

Ross

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Heavy Barrel said:
Splitz,
The OP's question was how many "Liberty" 45/70's.We are discussing two different rifles,a 1S Liberty 45/70 and a 1H .

Well, the original question did not call out the 22" S vs. the 24" H. It only asked about the 200th year......The H model occurred in the 200th year, only.

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
Right, Liberty rifles in 45-70 were available in 1976 as a cataloged 1S (B weight bbl) with 22"bbl and sites.

They were also available as an un-cataloged run of 12-20 1H (D weight bbl) 24"bbl with sites.

Both are rare in my book with the 1H model being exceptionally rare.

good luck with the search

Dave

four70nitro

Single-Sixer
The sad thing is I remember having a 1-H 45-70 in my hands at a gun show and thinking "who would want a .45-70 that was that heavy and cost that much more than a regular 1-S gun?" But then that was many, many years before I knew how rare they were, and not all that much money by today's standards........

Dave