Nice #1s for sale

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Watergoat

Single-Sixer
edsgunshop.com 458 w/3 rds fired, 458 Lott, 416 Rigby. One is even a stainless/laminate. Also a PC-40. Will vouch for Ed as the best of the best. The 1 1/2 hour drive from here is well worth it. Not many rogue elephants in this part of NC, so you guys can have at it. :mrgreen:

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
You should pick one up just in case one of them rouge elephants makes it to your parts! One never knows when the heavy artillery will be needed!

Watergoat

Single-Sixer
So far, I have managed to keep the errant pachyderms at bay with my 9.3x74R. However, my shooting buddy has an unfired 416 Rigby, and two boxes of ammo. He is starting to sell some of his goodies off, so I can get that one should the need arise.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Watergoat said:
edsgunshop.com 458 w/3 rds fired, 458 Lott, 416 Rigby. One is even a stainless/laminate. Also a PC-40. Will vouch for Ed as the best of the best. The 1 1/2 hour drive from here is well worth it. Not many rogue elephants in this part of NC, so you guys can have at it. :mrgreen:

Slow learner. Usually it's "with one round fired"

BucolicBuffalo

Single-Sixer
gewehrfreund said:
Watergoat said:

LOL! :lol: So right.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
As much as I like big boomers and have several............any of the Lott or Rigby rounds in a Ruger No.1..............I will pass.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
The only rifle I know of personally that shattered at the pistol grip was a 458 shooting 500 grain bullets. For some reason that just dont seem like fun! But a trip back to Ruger for a new stock and he's still using it. That is a slow learner!! But this guy is one of those that you could hit over the head with a 2x4 and he'd just give you a funny look and ask why ya did that...a bit stouter than a mere mortal man! :lol:

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
Both the .458 and .416 Rigby are a lot of fun with Trailboss and big lead slugs. I don't want to comment much on my experience with full power loads. Twasn't fun. Not a bit.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Greg Mercurio said:
Both the .458 and .416 Rigby are a lot of fun with Trailboss and big lead slugs. I don't want to comment much on my experience with full power loads. Twasn't fun. Not a bit.

I'm all about the reduced loads in my 458 (ca. medium 45-70 level and below). I have never, and will never, fire a full power load in that rifle. With the extra weight from that heavy barrel, it becomes a lot of fun.

YMMV (your masochism may vary)

gtxmonte

Buckeye
I guess I just don't see the point in buying a cannon and then loading it down to be tolerable to shoot. Why not just buy something tolerable to start with.

I have a 454 Casull Redhawk..........I shoot full power Casull loads in it, NOT 45s. I want to shoot 45s, I USE my 45 Blackhawk. So if I did have one of those rifles, but wasn't man enough to take what it can dish out, it would have to go............LOL!!!

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
It takes all kinds to make a world.

If you're a "light" beer drinker, I would have to ask why bother with that weak stuff when you're not getting the real beer experience?

I guess some of us just like to have fun when we shoot rather than get beat up. The only reason i have a 458 is that it's just one more variation/example in my No. 1 "collection". I have no other reason for having it or anything else more powerful than a 30-30.
I enjoy shooting my 22s as much or more than anything else, and I'd rather shoot my 22 caliber centerfires than any of the "hunting" rounds.

And I'd respectfully suggest that it has nothing to do with being "man enough". . . . . . ."lol"

RSIno1

Hunter
gewehrfreund said:
Watergoat said:

I bought a 1H in 458 Win Mag - just because. It's like new but it had been shot as there was a little copper fouling in the bore. I bought some dies/brass/bullets and loaded up 50 rounds 25 w/300 gr and 25 w/500 grain. Gotta have a goal - I'm hoping to shoot 5 rounds of each on the first outing.

Major T

Blackhawk
Whiskey and .458s.

When I was a young man just at legal age, I went into a package store and asked the store owner for a recommended bourbon. He had none. He gave me some sage advice when he said , "This stuff is for selling, not for drinking."

I have owned a bunch of .458s over the years. I never fired one. I also never failed to make a profit on them. .458s are for selling, not for shooting.

Best wishes,,

Jack

Cordite

Single-Sixer
RSIno1 said:
.... I'm hoping to shoot 5 rounds of each on the first outing.

If anybody is watching you have to make sure that you act like it's no big deal when you get to round #5. Kinda like baseball when the batter gets hit by a pitch in the ribs and runs to first base without rubbing the sore spot.

Cordite

winchester348

Single-Sixer
I bought my first 458wm in a Whitworth 98 action when I was around 18 because the distributor was closing them out for dirt cheap. I wanted to shoot one and I knew no one who owned one. I later traded it for a New Ruger No 1 in .458wm because the shop had it marked way down. They gave me 3x what I paid for the Whitworth in trade. I came out very well on that deal. The No. 1 has such a heavy barrel that recoil is very manageable. I walked into another pawn shop one day and seen a Ruger No 1 on the wall. It was chambered in .416 Rigby, again dirt cheap. $600 out the door with a box of ammo. I'll buy any Ruger No 1 I find for $600 any day of the week no matter what caliber. The 416 is not that bad to fire either, more of a push. My wife even has fired it. Ammo price is the only thing scary on a 416 Rigby

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
I have a 458 Lott and a 416 Rigby and all the huge african animals have disappeared in SW Ory-Gun.
Guess that means I rest my case.