New Super Blackhawk Grip Frame Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Asltrfl

Bearcat
I'm thinking about buying a new Super Blackhawk (new production model 0813) 4-5/8" bbl "standard" model. But I cannot tell if the grip frame is the same as the "hunter" (the larger plow-handle grip). My NM .357 blackhawk has the small plow-handle (xr3-red) and is too small for my liking, and my .44 flat-top Bisley is too tight. I'm thinking the "hunter" grip frame might be perfect on the Super Blackhawk, I'm just not sure if the NEW MODELS of SBH are using the xr3-red or have the larger size "plow" (SBH) grip frame. I'd really appreciate any help Gentlemen.

I did a 30 minute search to avoid asking dumb questions but could not find any difinitive answers. If not, I'll just do the conversion grip frame from midway on my .357 and throw in a SBH hammer and be done with it. I've built 1911's for years and got bored, and I'm no stranger to fitting steel and have all the tools Just got into the Ruger SA's a month or two ago and love them. But darn they are confusing to a novice. Thanks again!

trapperon

Blackhawk
The 4 5/8 Super has the same grip as your New Model 357 Blackhawk. The hunter grip frame is the same as a standard 7.5 inch super blackhawk but has a roundeed trigger guard rather than the squared off dragoon type as on the 7.5 standard super. The hunter grip is only found on the hunter models with scope sut outs.

hope this helps...

ron

CraigC

Hawkeye
Are you tucking that pinky under? For me, I don't care for the standard grip frame with heavy loads. So my 4 5/8" Super is a Bisley.

If you want the Hunter grip frame on anything but a Hunter model, you'll have to do it yourself.

DHD

Single-Sixer
They both nailed it.

I have the model you are wanting in SS, and it was a handful with stout loads. I mean a handful. I split the difference on grip frame work by sending it to Jack Huntington for his modification. It is now a comfortable grip and the same length as a Bisley or Hunter. Needless to say, I love it bit I better cause it wasn't cheap.

Asltrfl

Bearcat
Got it. Exactly what I was guessing. You guys are awesome. Guess i'll build the hunter frame myself then. Thanks.

Enigma

Hunter
Although this has been asked and answered, here is a link to some additional information: http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm