New Model Blackhawk .41 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TScott

Bearcat
I am new here and this is my first post. I have several Rugers so I will likely be hanging around some. I have a few questions about a revolver I just acquired. It is a New Model Blackhawk, 41 magnum with 6.5" barrel. The serial number dates it to 1979. The guy I bought it from says he bought it new and it has never been fired. It looks to be in 100% condition, there is a slight ring around the cylinder from working the action and spinning the cylinder. I am wondering if there are any tale tale signs as to whether it has ever been fired. I wiped it down and there are no signs of any powder residue, just oiled it up and put it back in the box. Which is the next question. It is supposed to be in the original box, the box says Ruger New Model Blackhawk .357 Magnum on the end and has the proper serial number handwritten in white across the side of the box. Is that normal? did they use the same box for both calibers. And of course the final question, what do you think it is worth if it is unfired or if not.

hittman

Staff member
Either wrong box and somebody outside the factory wrote the s/n on it or ...... it's the correct factory box with the wrong end-label on it applied at the factory. Neither would surprise us.

Doesn't matter whether or not it's been shot. You could put 10,000 rounds through it and after a good cleaning, you'd never know. They're tough as nails those Ruger revolvers. And .... they're MADE to shoot!

TScott

Bearcat
These are the boxes with the writting printed right on the box, no label. That is why I thought maybe they used the same boxes for Super Blackhawks, or maybe the .41 was sort of an orphan child lol, so it never had it's own box printed up. Just speculation anyway.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Don't sweat the small stuff. I have a .41mag NMBH I bought in 2000. Great gun, but it's not a collector item - at least not yet. Whether the box is correct or not isn't going to make one bit of difference in value. Get a cowboy rig for it and go shoot it. :)

I'd recommend Underwood ammo: http://www.underwoodammo.com/41remingtonmagnum.aspx

TScott

Bearcat
dreamer said:
Probably the right box, missing the stick-on label
See I don't think they used stick on labels back then. This is what I was saying, it has the information actually printed on the box.

daniellawecki

Bearcat
Mine left the factory 2008 just shot it this past Sunday. Guns are made to shoot never liked wall hangers or safe queens. Mine has those ugly black plastic grips. Sure good use some grips with a little meat on them.

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Mine is a 1975. Box has a stick on label on the end for BN-42. Glad you asked because when I went to my box storage and opened the box I found a spare rear sight blade taped to the inside end wall. Wondered where the white outline rear sight blade came from. :lol:

k22fan

Blackhawk
One clue to whether a magnum revolver has been fired is the rear edge of the forcing cone. It doesn't take many magnums to dull the sharp edge left by the reamer but even if the edge is still sharp the BH may have fired a few shots.

Tip

Single-Sixer
k22fan said:
One clue to whether a magnum revolver has been fired is the rear edge of the forcing cone. It doesn't take many magnums to dull the sharp edge left by the reamer but even if the edge is still sharp the BH may have fired a few shots.

That's a good bit of information!
Thank you, k22fan.

Welcome to the forum, TScott. Nice Blackhawk! :mrgreen:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
daniellawecki said:
Mine left the factory 2008 just shot it this past Sunday. Guns are made to shoot never liked wall hangers or safe queens. Mine has those ugly black plastic grips. Sure good use some grips with a little meat on them.

I put walnut Hogue grips on mine when I bought it. Much better control and reduction of felt recoil. They're pretty beefy, so probably not good if you have small hands, but since they're wood they can be easily modified. http://www.hoguestore.com/

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
I picked up mine a couple of years ago and love shooting it.

Blackhawk41mag-a.jpg

AZshooter

Bearcat
In addition to the edge of the forcing cone, take a look at the rear of the frame where the firing pin passes thru. Primers and cases impact here and will show a ring around the FP hole - either from primer metal or bluing wear.

My 1980 BN 42 came in a yellow box with black end. The sticker is black with lettering in red. There is no serial nbr on the box sticker, but it is all handwritten on the outside shipping box. I got it all from a guy who bought it new, and never fired it. I'd been meaning to get a .41 Blackhawk for a while now, but the black plastic grips, although solid and well-made, just don't say Ruger to me in the same way the wood grips do.