"New, Improved" RIP ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
G2 has renamed it's boutique RIP ammo, and is offering it in .380. New package, new name. Same stuff. Calling it "Civic Duty" now. :roll:

Still not impressed. :roll:

31d65dd3-e4ee-4b4d-bc2f-6663d4fb6697-660x586.jpg

http://www.guns.com/2017/05/11/g2-research-civic-duty-380-acp/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=59149c1804d3011916632440&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I carry a 380ACP in a IWB holster but all my ammo is home rolled from components so I am not in the loop on factory fodder, and having said all that I have never heard anything about that company. Now speaking of the 380, I love that little gun and cartridge, which is Sig Sauer P238. I can shoot that gun accurately without taking my hearing aids out without hammering my ears. I know it doesn't hit like the hammer of Thor but I sure wouldn't want to get shot with it. I tried to carry larger more potent pistols/cartridges but they are just too hard to conceal well and often times I would opt not to carry for that reason but I figure a small pistol is way better than nothing.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Luckyducker said:
I carry a 380ACP in a IWB holster but all my ammo is home rolled from components so I am not in the loop on factory fodder, and having said all that I have never heard anything about that company. Now speaking of the 380, I love that little gun and cartridge, which is Sig Sauer P238. I can shoot that gun accurately without taking my hearing aids out without hammering my ears. I know it doesn't hit like the hammer of Thor but I sure wouldn't want to get shot with it. I tried to carry larger more potent pistols/cartridges but they are just too hard to conceal well and often times I would opt not to carry for that reason but I figure a small pistol is way better than nothing.

Here's one of many UTube backyard penetration tests on the stuff. It does leave a large, but shallow wound cavity, and what remains of the core (about 25gr) is lucky to penetrate 8 or 10 inches in gel. As far as penetration goes, I get better than that with .22lr jhp.

But that's just me. I'm a penetration nut. I figure 2 holes is better than one, especially if it takes some bones and innards with it on the way out. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmy7Vp7aNHw

Clovishound

Blackhawk
If I were going to carry a .380 I think I would be looking hard at the new ARX ammo. The ballistic gel tests on it are pretty impressive.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Clovishound said:
If I were going to carry a .380 I think I would be looking hard at the new ARX ammo. The ballistic gel tests on it are pretty impressive.

I've seen a couple gel and other backyard tests of the ARX. That would be a better choice. Still a little pricey tho - about 80cents/rnd, which isn't terribly bad for something you might only ever shoot 1 or 2 boxes of, if that. I have heard that some guns don't feed it reliably tho. Probably hanging up on the feed ramp occasionally.

gasbag

Blackhawk
Luckyducker said:
I know it doesn't hit like the hammer of Thor but I sure wouldn't want to get shot with it. .

I carry a Sig P238 almost everywhere I go.
I don't need a pistol the size of a 7 lb. steak hanging off my belt.
A lot of guys with way too much testosterone usually make fun of it being a small caliber.
I just ask them to "Stand over there" and let me shoot them if it's so ineffective.
So far no one has taken me up on it. Hmmmm.
The only gun that's ineffective is the one you don't carry.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
The issue with some calibers is not that they aren't deadly. A .22lr will kill. It frequently does.

It does not, however, do a particularly good job of stopping someone. Therein lies the problem.

I do agree that a .22 that you will carry is more effective than the 44 mag left at home.