New Holster arrived...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Here is my Ruger Flat Top in my new Tom Threepersons holster from El Paso Saddlery:

Here I posed it with other carry holsters to illustrate my complaint of having too much cant. The gun, when worn on my belt, is placed at too sharp of an angle for me to reach my gun comfortably.

It is well made, of course, but just hangs at too sharp of an angle to suit me.

Bob Wright

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Appreciate the pic showing the cant. Too many products are shown in a pretty picture but not in actual use.I have to agree that is rather much. Wonder if that's the design or something is off on this particular example.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
turd said:
Don't tell us, tell El Paso Saddlery.

I tell y'all here as an alert to anyone contemplating the purchase of this holster from El Paso Saddlery, so that y'all will be aware of the extreme cant. As I've posted, the holster is of little value to me as is. It might be well for purchasers to consider neutral cant.

As to telling El Paso, be assured I've already taken up that issue with them.

Bob Wright

turd

Blackhawk
Sorry, I assumed you were just moaning about not getting what you wanted. It IS way to much for real carry use. Perhaps meant for quick draw or Cowboy Shoots?

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
turd said:
Sorry, I assumed you were just moaning about not getting what you wanted. It IS way to much for real carry use. Perhaps meant for quick draw or Cowboy Shoots?

There is no way a quick draw can be made with this holster, at least not by me. When holstered, the gun sits rotated too much so that I cannot reach the hammer spur when I grasp the gun butt. Even if I could, the cylinder will not rotate while in the holster.

This is the catalog illustration, and I assumed that is how the holster would ride:

Instead it sits at a much sharper angle:

That is the holster on the extreme right.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
Yes it does look like a lot. Is it meant for riding a horse? Would it be more upright if you were sitting down in a saddle?

If I were in the saddle (not likely nowadays!) the muzzle would be against the back of the seat.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
turd said:

And, for quick draw contests, the rearward cant is the preferred position.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
turd said:

I'm not in the habit of moaning about not getting what I want. I do take it up with the supplier first.

Bob Wright