New hand cannon .480

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lefty SRH

Blackhawk
I recently had another chance to pick up a NIB Ruger .480 9 1/2" SRH stainless, not Target Grey finish.
I slugged the barrel last night and it came out .475". The first inch or 2 at the muzzle were tight and then the slug dropped free all the way to the frame and then got snug again in the frame til it came out of the forcing cone. The cylinder thoats measure .475"-.4755" with guage pins, a .476" WILL NOT GO. How do these specs sound to you?
I've heard that a slightly tighter/smaller muzzle is good thing. I can't wait to shoot this monster with MY cast boolit. The mold should be here soon.

98Redline

Blackhawk
Generally for cast boolit shooting you want a tapered bore from forcing cone to the muzzle.

What you describe sounds pretty typical with respect to most Rugers I have seen, tight at the frame, loose or slightly tight under the roll mark then tight at the muzzle.

My guess is that you will encounter some leading in the barrel just after the forcing cone. The bullet will get swaged down by the bore constriction then "rattle" down the pipe until it hits the muzzle and tightens back up.

Fairshake

Bearcat
Likewise w/mine but 7.5" TG. Been wondering about it whatwith it being tight on both ends just what is the groove dia. in the middle? There is an explanation/reason to experience tigthness where the barrel screws into the frame but how/why the tightness at the muzzle?

Lefty SRH

Blackhawk
Fairshake said:
Likewise w/mine but 7.5" TG. Been wondering about it whatwith it being tight on both ends just what is the groove dia. in the middle? There is an explanation/reason to experience tigthness where the barrel screws into the frame but how/why the tightness at the muzzle?

I wondered the same thing. Loose in the middle? I expected tight at the frame. My .44 SRH is that way but shoot exceotionally well.
But loose at the roll mark is NOT what I expected. I'm sure she will shoot ok, time will tell.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Glad to hear you got one.

Since yours is new, Ruger will swap rings with you for 30mm's if you are interested in using a 30mm UltraDot on it.
Check with UltraDot West, and get a Scope Coat with it.

What bullet mold do you have coming?

Got brass yet? You might check Graff and Son for Speer.

I have Hogue "Tamers" on both of my 480's. I have put them on the 44's also. Great grip.

Enjoy

Bob

Fairshake

Bearcat
Pulled my records on my 480 ~ built in 2002 w/0.475" groove dia. (at muzzle as frame area appears lil' looser). Chambers throats gages at 0.477"

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
Bob R said:
Since yours is new, Ruger will swap rings with you for 30mm's if you are interested in using a 30mm UltraDot on it.
Check with UltraDot West, and get a Scope Coat with it.

If going with an Ultradot (which is an excellent choice for the Hunter), also check with Larry's Guns in Maine. They had the best price w/free shipping last I checked.

http://www.larrysguns.com/Default.aspx

Lefty SRH

Blackhawk
I don't care for scopes on a hunting pistol. I do use them for load development though.

The mold coming is an aluminum Accurate mold that drops 420gr pills! I also have a group buy Miha brass mold in the works thats a brass 2 cavity cramer hollow point dropping 400gr HP boolits.

The throats on my cylinder are .475"-.4755"

Who will open these to a uniform .476"? I figure that would be ideal since the bor seems to be .475.