New Bearcat grips- UPDATE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Last year in a post, I mentioned my interest in a slightly different Bearcat grip (described below) and there was interest expressed.

I haven't had time to make a set so I'm reaching out to custom grip makers on the forum. Do any of you make grips for the Bearcat? If so, would you make a pair for my Bearcat with a square top like the single six?

Description:
I'm envisioning a pair of grips with a square top that overlays the frame with about 1/16" to 3/32" thickness of wood forward of the medallion. The 'square top' would extend forward following the lower frame contour to within 1/16" of the rear trigger guard/frame seam. The vertical forward edge forms a 90 degree corner where it meets the top horizontal edge extending back to the uppermost corner of the standard Bearcat grip. This horizontal upper edge would leave a sliver of the frame behind the hammer exposed on each side above the grip panel just like a single six. The rest of the grip would mimic the original Bearcat with the 1/2 round inlayed in the grip frame.

A Bearcat medallion would be placed exactly in the same location of a standard Bearcat grip, centered in the 1/2 round area looking from the backside of the grip. Screw hole would be in the standard position.

Anyone interested in making a set as described? Would any other Bearcat owners be interested in grip panels like this?

caryc

Hawkeye
I have no interest at all in something like this but if you want to get others interested I suggest at least a drawing of what you're talking about.

caryc

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
Thanks for your response Gary. Yes I would come up with a sketch but were you able to get an idea from the description?

No, that's why I suggested you post a sketch here. Maybe some Bearcat owners can visualize what you're talking about but I can't.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Oh my! Maybe this will help:

orig.jpg

caryc

Hawkeye
OK, nevermind. I was being serious. I'm quite aware of what a single six grip looks like. I hope you can find someone who can visualize what it is you want.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I am very serious. You said "No" you weren't able to get an idea from the description" so I gave you (and others) a picture; better than a sketch. I'm still trying to figure out what part you couldn't understand. You said "I have no interest at all in something like this" so what more did you need?

caryc

Hawkeye
Well for example, maybe you could draw a Bearcat grip and overlay with the drawing of how you want it to look. As I understand it you want excess wood to cover where the radiused part is on the Bearcat grip. This would make the grips pretty wide at the top.

I have no interest in trying to make this but if someone else did I was thinking you could make it easier with a drawing.

I'm just trying to help you. If you don't like it I'll butt out.

Cannon

Bearcat
These don't extend as far forward as you're wanting, but I think the general idea is the same. They've got a disk on the backside, just like a set of S&W grips.

bearcat4.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Cannon,

Those are beautiful. Yes, that's what I had in mind but extending forward more as you said. Maybe with the top egde a little lower to more resemble single six grip proportions. I suppose you made those.

Cannon

Bearcat
Jim,

My brother made those for me. He also made the steel ERH on that little gun.

Here's the other side -- notice anything missing?

bearcat5.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I sure do, there's no grip screw on either side! Are they held on with magnates thru that large round hole in the bottom of the grip frame?

Your brother does excellent work! I had to find an early OM steel ERH for mine. Now EWK makes them. Did he start from scratch or scale down a single six steel ERH?

Cannon

Bearcat
The grip hardware was an experiment of his. This is a poor picture, but shows the only visible hardware:

bearcat8.jpg

I don't have the gun handy to take more pictures, but I'll try to describe it. That screw threads through one side of a collar inlet into the back side of that panel. There's a post inlet into the opposite grip that fits through that collar. There's a tapered groove around the end of that post, and the screw has a matching taper on the nose. Tightening the screw pulls the post into the collar, squeezing the grips in tight against the frame.

He made the ERH from scratch.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
He should talk to Ruger about the design...

"I don't have the time to do a patent application.... Darn it! That was my idea! They stole it and made a million bucks! :roll:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Hondo44 , That would be an interesting project. I don`t have a Bearcat to use to make a pattern or the time right now. That would be a winter project if I were to try it. I only make grips as a hobby and have no desire to get into it any deeper ... but I always enjoy a challenge if I have the time.
Good luck on your search.

Latest posts