New 3" King Cobra vs 4" SP101--UPDATE at the range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Today I picked up my new Colt 357 King Cobra 3". I also own a 4" Ruger SP101 357.

When I got home I got the SP out of the safe to do a side by side comparison of the two. Let's just say, they are near identical in size except for the 4" barrel on the SP. In fact, the Colt fits into the Ruger SP holster perfectly.

Differences:

Price: Colt is about $250 more than the Ruger.

Fit/finish: Colt is significantly more refined.

Action: Colt is much smoother with a lighter, crisper trigger pull both single and double action.

Cylinder latch: Edge goes to the Ruger.

Sights: Edge goes to the Ruger with the adjustable sights.

Capacity: 6 rounds for the Colt and 5 for the Ruger.

Feel in the hand: A push with my personal preference going to the Colt.

Accuracy and felt recoil: Yet to be determined..... Stay tuned for range report. :wink:

Cholo

Staff member
Cool comparison! In a way they're both kinda homely looking in a workhorse kind of way which is not bad.

It will be interesting to see which one groups better and if the Colt shoots to the sights. Looking forward to it! :)

bogus bill

Hunter
I have a nickle 2 1/2" Python and a 3" S&W 66-3 with all the bells & whistles. I`d hate to give either one up.
https://i.postimg.cc/BShHKJYj/Oct-2012-016.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
bogus bill said:
I have a nickle 2 1/2" Python and a 3" S&W 66-3 with all the bells & whistles. I`d hate to give either one up.
https://i.postimg.cc/BShHKJYj/Oct-2012-016.jpg
I'd hate to give either of those beauties up, too! :wink:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Heliman said:
Snake45 said:
Very interesting comparison! What are the weights of the two?

The weights of these two revolvers are nearly the same. Ruger 29.5oz and Colt 28oz.
Very good, thanks! :wink:

Okay, here's how I see these two revolvers, which at first glance are similar, but I see them filling different niches.

The 3" King Cobra is IMHO the finest EDC revolver of all time, IMHO--the perfect modern embodiment of Chick Gaylord's "Metropolitan Special." Minimum thickness for 6 shots of .38/.357. 3" barrel allows a full-length ejector rod, and a useful gain in both velocity, sight radius, and balance over 2". Not too heavy to carry, not too light to shoot. The fixed sights (assuming they're close to regulated, or you can get them there) are no deterrent for EDC and personal protection; in fact, they're a plus. It might be the perfect launch vehicle for .38+Ps. (In case you haven't guessed, I WANT one of these.)

The 4" SP-101 on the other hand is a fine, FINE "trail gun." Maybe even a perfect one. Again, not too heavy, not too light. 4" and adjustable sights will wring even more performance out of the cartridge. Too big for a pocket but not for a comfortable holster of your favorite style. Adequate power for anything you might run across, except of course bears. Is five shots enough? Probably. In most cases, you probably won't be firing it at all. It will do anything a 4" Python, 686, 19/66, or GP100 will do, with less weight and bulk, though not as pleasantly (lighter) and for only 85% as long (5-shot capability).

You have two very fine revolvers here. Enjoy them both. :wink:

This SP101 is my companion field gun when rifle hunting. I like it a lot and it is perfect for that use.

I believe the Colt will be more versatile in that it is small enough for conceal carry, yet could be a trail gun as well. The Colt is much more refined out of the box. It doesn't feel as "clunky" as the SP.

Trust me, both will see plenty of use! Really looking forward to a range trip to shoot both of them side by side.

eveled

Hawkeye
I always felt Ruger missed the boat by not finding a way to make the SP a 6 shooter. That Colt is just about perfect in size and capacity. Looking forward to the Range report. 2 nice guns.

mlazarus5388

Single-Sixer
Both excellent examples of wheel guns. I considered both, ended up with the Kimber of all things.

https://youtu.be/ZvLnOQ6750Y

FINALLY got to the range today. I shot 4 different loads through both guns. Most shooting was single action at 30 feet off hand. Both revolvers handled all loads just fine. Recoil was very manageable with both. I fired 5 rounds through the Ruger and 6 through the Colt with each load.

Generally I have good days and bad days at the range. Today was so-so. Maybe on another day the results would be different. Here we go...

148gr WC .38 Special hand loads
Winner....Ruger. The Ruger fiber optic sight is a definite advantage compared to the brass front sight on the Colt.

Remington 38 Special +P 125gr SJHP factory load
Winner....Colt. Narrow win for the Colt. The Colt shot closer to point of aim, but a near tie for group size.

UMC 357 Mag 125gr JSP factory load
Winner.... A tie! Accuracy was better with the Ruger...slightly. The Colt felt better in the hand. Recoil with both was manageable.

Aluminum cased CCI Blazer 357 Mag 158gr JHP factory load
Winner....Another tie! Accuracy about the same. Both platforms handled the loads just fine.

Double Action was done with the CCI Blazer 357 Mag.
Winner....Colt. The accuracy was better with the Colt as was the DA trigger, hands down.

I give the over all edge to the Colt. The Colt has a purpose of a good conceal carry revolver. It can be a woods gun as well. With the 6 round capacity it tips the balance as well. I am not going to dismiss the Ruger at all for a woods gun. I have been carrying mine when rifle hunting for at least 4 years and will probably continue to do so. But, it is not a conceal carry candidate. So, I will continue to carry the Ruger in the woods and the Colt will be either, but primarily conceal carry. At any rate the new Colt King Cobra is a winner IMO.

PS...while retrieving targets, the Colt slid off the hood of my truck and landed in the grave. A couple of minor dings, but really pee'd me off for my stupidity! :x

Snake45

Hawkeye
Great report! Things went pretty much as I would have expected, and it sounds like you have very realistic expectations and a solid niche for each. Looks like they've both found a good home with someone who can truly appreciate and maximize each. Thanks for sharing! :wink:

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Heliman said:
PS...while retrieving targets, the Colt slid off the hood of my truck and landed in the grave. A couple of minor dings, but really pee'd me off for my stupidity! :x

Well , that sucks but, at least ya got that over with. Only the first ding hurts that bad.
Now it is truly ready to be a carry gun.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have three SP101's in 357 : 21/4", 3"and 4" AS . Obviously the 4" with AS is easier to shoot than the other two with the 3" a very close second. My 2 1/4" is not an easy gun to shoot and has the heaviest trigger pull !! All thre of the SP's have the Wilson spring kit in them and 3"&4" have very similar trigger pulls for SA & DA , easy to shoot. My 2 1/4" is my CC gun but It takes very regular practice to shoot it well. The trigger pull feels heavy even with the lighter Wilson main spring in it. All three guns are 100% positive ignition just the 2 1/4 has a heavy pull and 1/2 way back seems to tighten up. Disassembly did not find any flaws in the trigger parts so ?? Shoot it a lot !!

tguil

Single-Sixer
Cholo said:
Cool comparison! In a way they're both kinda homely looking in a workhorse kind of way which is not bad.

It will be interesting to see which one groups better and if the Colt shoots to the sights. Looking forward to it! :)