New 22/45 Target QC?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Eric N.

Bearcat
I got a brand new 22/45 Target .What a hunk of JUNK. 6lbs trigger pull,magizine drops down about an 1/8in when the bolt goes forward,gun wont fire. The magazine is hard to take out(a screw driver helps). The bolt is real hard to pull back (wife cant move it). Bolt release needs a thumb on it. Just so you know,I checked at the store I bought it from had another one. It did all the same things. I called Ruger about the trigger pull,and some snot nosed PUNK told me there wasn't any thing wrong with a 6lbs trigger pull on a target pistol! I hung up. Right now,it is only good as a Target. Im afraid to shoot it.

Eric N.

Bearcat
I E-Mailed the CEO at Ruger about this thing early this morning. Got a call from Ruger 10 Min. ago,and they said sent it back to them We shall see.

railroader

Single-Sixer
I just bought a 22/45 about a month ago and I know what you are talking about on some of the issues. The gun has a mag disconnect to make states like california happy. That is what is causing your problems with mags. The disconnect puts pressure on the mag so that causes the mags to not drop free. Also when you put a mag in the gun push it all the way but also push the rear corner of the mag forward to overcome the mag safety. If you just push the mag straight up it will be in the gun but might not latch. There is an easy fix. Take out the mag safety and replace it with an aftermarket bushing. Your mags will drop free and lock in easily. Here's the bushing I used. http://www.tandemkross.com/Steel-Ruger-Mark-III-2245-Magazine-Disconnect-Bushing_p_9.html While you are in the gun if you change the sear and the trigger pull be a clean 2 to 3lbs. Here is the sear. http://www.rimfiresports.com/mercha...Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC2TS&Category_Code=VC2 These to mods will make a night and day difference in the enjoyment level of the gun. If you just send the gun to ruger it will probably come back similar as to how you sent it. Just read all the reviews on the 2 sites for the parts and you will see what I mean.
On other parts of the gun being stiff did you clean the gun well and lube it? The parts like the safety and slide release will get smoother with use. Mark

Shooter III

Single-Sixer
railroader said:
I just bought a 22/45 about a month ago and I know what you are talking about on some of the issues. The gun has a mag disconnect to make states like california happy. That is what is causing your problems with mags. The disconnect puts pressure on the mag so that causes the mags to not drop free. Also when you put a mag in the gun push it all the way but also push the rear corner of the mag forward to overcome the mag safety. If you just push the mag straight up it will be in the gun but might not latch. There is an easy fix. Take out the mag safety and replace it with an aftermarket bushing. Your mags will drop free and lock in easily. Here's the bushing I used. http://www.tandemkross.com/Steel-Ruger-Mark-III-2245-Magazine-Disconnect-Bushing_p_9.html While you are in the gun if you change the sear and the trigger pull be a clean 2 to 3lbs. Here is the sear. http://www.rimfiresports.com/mercha...Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC2TS&Category_Code=VC2 These to mods will make a night and day difference in the enjoyment level of the gun. If you just send the gun to ruger it will probably come back similar as to how you sent it. Just read all the reviews on the 2 sites for the parts and you will see what I mean.
On other parts of the gun being stiff did you clean the gun well and lube it? The parts like the safety and slide release will get smoother with use. Mark

Bummer is .... the MK III's have had a bunch of safety gizmo's built into them, a couple of things I have done that GREATLY enhanced the operation of the pistol ...

Take out the little steel blade from the LCI (loaded chamber indicator), which seems to help with fail to feed and eject.
As the man stated above take out all the Mag-disconnect parts and replace them with a MK II hammer bushing, after that the mags will fall to the ground upon release, will slide in easier and simplify dis-assemble and re-assemble.

And last ... my trigger on my MK III was at about 5 1/2 pounds from the factory .... I took out the hammer / sear / and any other pieces that moved in the trigger group that would create friction and did a simple polish job with a Dremel, cloth wheel, and Flitz polish .... Now my trigger is smooth, crisp, and breaks at 3 1/2 pounds .... I love it !!!!! Now it's a great, fun, cheap, pistol to shoot with .... GOOD LUCK !!!!

P.S.
I would also recommend this kit >>> https://www.volquartsen.com/products/1067-bolt-tune-up-kit-for-mki-mkii-and-mkiii <<< This is an awesome upgrade as Ruger uses stamped steel parts, the firing pin tip is .004 inch wider and hardened, the extractor has crisp right angles, is .005 inch wider at the hook and hardened as well, since I used these parts I have had zero failures to feed and eject, except for maybe one out of a several hundred fail to fire, (if that) after all .22 ammo is finicky.