Need opinions on good valuevarmint/target scope for #1V .223

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kpp80202

Bearcat
I just bought a beautiful Ruger #1-V in .223 that has a free floated barrel and a fantastic trigger on it (worked on by a well-known Boulder, CO gunsmith). I want to put decent glass on it for target practice and some varminting (coyotes to prarie dogs). Range not expected to be over 350-400 yards, so I expect 14x-16x will be plenty for top end magnification. I have had (and still have) rifles with Burris FF, Leupold VX-II, SWFA SS 10x, Zeiss Conquest, Weaver GS, and older Nikon optics, and have been the most impressed with the Weaver GS and Leupold. I know none of these are top of the line or anything, but they do the job well in my opinion.

I see the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 with mil dot or BDC reticles are being closed out for $400, and that seems like a great scope for the money. Is there anything else out there that offers the same or better optics/view for the same or similar money?

EDIT--I also see the Elite 3200 10x40 for about $220, which looks like a pretty good deal without the added complexity of a zoom. Clearly, you give up power at both ends, and close in shots would be very difficult, but for punching paper and 'dogs, it seems like it may be doable.

Kevin

picketpin

Buckeye
Just a thought. I run the old BUrris Fullfield 6x18 on nearly all of my "varmint" #1s. It's a good balance of power and clarity and the things like BC reticles are not all that important unless range is genrally more than 300-350 yards.

I buy them off e-bay, GB and AA and seldon pay more than $250.

I've sent some back to Burris over the years and they can/will add Target Turrets for $80 and will also change out the reticle for about the same.

According to the Techs at Burris, who by the way LOVE this scope, "IT's one of the very best pieces of glass we ever made".

The other advantage as far as I'm concerned as a #1 shooter is the are LONG and do not require anything special in the way of rings etc to get them on a #1 with correct eye relief.

Just a thought, but it works for me and you never run into the scope is too short thing as you often do with other scopes.

RWT

picketpin

Buckeye
Fullfield NOT Fullfield II They also made a fixed 10x and a fixed 12X

The newer FullfieldII is a much shorter scope and according to the techs, "Not nearly the scope the old one was".

I REALLY like them. I have them on at least 9 #1s and there is a "spare" in the gun cabinet, waiting for a rifle.

Ross