NEED IVORY GRIPS REPAIRED

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tommygun

Single-Sixer
I have a set of factory ivories that are in need of repair. Can anybody help or steer me in the right direction? BTW, they were cracked when I bought them and now a piece has broken off. Both are cracked and would like to have both repaired. Looks like there are places online that specialize in such things!

Dos Vaqueros

Single-Sixer
The Ruger Ivorex grips are notorious for cracking from over tightening. The material is as fragile as glass, and repair is difficult at best. Get a nice pair from Altamont grips for $28 a pair you will be very happy with them.

Good point Charles! I had assumed the OP was talking about real ivory as well. If the grips in question are the current Ruger ivory colored grips, I do not have a clue who could repair them.

pete44ru

Hunter

If/when you get the grip(s) repaired, you might want to consider a method to prevent over-tightening/cracking.

I cut a section of small aluminum tubing to the same length as the gripframe width at that spot, and run the gripscrew though the tubing.

I think he is talking about real ivory and the fact they 'split' or cracked apart at the one of the natural "seams" or "grains" of the grips,,,,many forms of old antique ivory get these cracks , mainly from drying out and possibly shrinking..............
tommygun don;t buy no "plastic" grips......... 8) :roll: :wink:

5card

Blackhawk
If you have the pieces that have cracked off the repair is simple. You glue it ith super glue. The jell type works best! If you are missing the piece or pieces there is one guy I have found to be the best at making these repairs, He has repaired several pair fore me that are over 100 years old and you can not tell where he added the piece, unless you know where it was missing or you really looked close at them. It is Bob Leskovec at Precision Pro Grips.http://www.propistolgrips.com/
I know him well and is a great guy. If you shoot me a PM I will give you my name for a reference

tommygun

Single-Sixer
Thanks for your input. Grips will be repaired soon. Interesting. Ruger guy was on track. If you look at pictures posted under the collecting section you will notice the cracks are near escutcheons and emblems. It seems that as the ivory dries and shrinks where those parts were pressed in pressure is created and eventual cracks. Similar to water freezing in concrete expanding and cracking. To help prevent this is suggested that they be rubbed down with baby oil to keep from drying to that point. Do not use products with lemon or any citrus or acidic qualities. Good stuff!

992B

Bearcat
Bob Leskovic will do an excellent repair. He has repaired three pairs of ivory grips and he is the only one I would consider doing ivory repair in the future!! Gary