Need info on Ruger Old Army conversion cylinders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fortrenokid

Bearcat
Howdy Pards

Howdy Pards

I have a ROA (blued; adjustable sights) that I acquired years ago but haven't used for black powder shooting.

I've been looking at the Brownell/Taylor drop-in cylinder conversion for use at CAS matches. The cylinder is economical compared to purchase of a new/used pistol since I already have the ROA. I've also reviewed the Kirst site for their conversion cylinder.

Would be very interested in any comments from you Pards out there that have a ROA w/drop-in cylinder or had one in the past. Are they really drop-in or is some gunsmithing required? Problems been encountered? Are they practical to use? What have your actual experiences been with converted ROA's? Is reloading simple or complex and time-consuming? Accuracy?

I've read that the cylinder is short by 45LC standards and one must be careful with reloads to ensure that the cartridge overall length is correct for the cylinder. I have a fair amount of 45 Schofield brass that might address this issue. Any issues you Pards have had in this regard?

Anyway, would like to hear of actual experiences with the units before making the decision to buy one. I really like the looks of the ROA and suspect, with it's relatively heavy weight, long sight radius, and adjustable sights that it would be a good shooter. Also suspect it would add to the future sale value to have a ROA with both the original percussion cylinder and the conversion cylinder.

Thanks

Fort Reno Kid

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
Mine was a simple drop in fit, just remember to use "Cowboy" type loads in it though. If I remember correctly the manufacturer only recommends loads up to 850fps.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Mine is a Kirst and have had zero issues with it. Dropped right in and has shot all loads I've run through it. Safe for all SAAMI spec loads for .45Colt.

Yes they are about 1/8" shorter which I find to be no problem and they are drop ins. So are you going to get another ROA so you would have a matched pair. There are some categories that you can't use the fixed sight in CAS
I shoot Black Powder most of the time but have shot smokeless.
They work fine for both.
Jim

From an old post.
Hey Guys,
Well I finally bit the bullet, OK a PUN, and bought two 45 conversion cylinders for my ROAs. These were made for me by Chris at Howell Conversions. They were R&D Conversions at one time. I wanted fluted cyls. with a Black Powder Bevel on them. So I called the factory, who also have the best prices. :wink:
Well let me tell you about Howell and Chris. They did outstanding work, they are the same overall as the C&Bs, they were sent when I was told they would be by one day. Chris called me to tell me he would be ONE DAY LATE. Since I was buying two he paid for shipping and no charge for the BP bevel. The price was as stated. So how much better can it get?
Now I know some of you guys will say geeeeeeeeeeee you can get a whole gun for the price of a cylinder. Well let me know when you find a 3 screw 45 Vaquero that will also shoot C&B. I don't care what you do to a new model it still feels like a new model. Yea I have a few. :roll:
Anyway now when I go to a match and it is raining I don't have to load C&Bs in the rain Trust me I have and it ain't fun. :oops: Also I can spend more time practicing and not so much time loading. :D
The cartridges you see are 45 Colt and the 45 Cowboy Special (same as an ACP but with a rim). The CBS allows you to load less powder (money 21Grs. verse 38Grs.) and you don't need a filler for less recoil. A full case of 3F Goex and a 250 Gr. bullet in a Colt case will get your attention. I loaded the CBS 21 3F and a 200 Gr. bullet It is still a stout load.
So all you guys that want a rimed 45 ACP here ya go.
I really enjoy the ROAs now they are a lot More versatile and will be shooting this weekend in a big match.
Thanks,
Jim
1330559475.jpg

1330559477.jpg

1330559479.jpg

eveled

Hawkeye
I always bite my tongue when this subject comes up. So as not to offend anybody, To each his own.

I have an Old Army, that I love, but can't see the value in the conversion cylinder. You end up with a gun that is hard to load, and can only use low power ammo. I just don't get it. Sorry.

What am I missing?

Go buy a blackhawk, and don't look back. IMHO. Ed

Well I guess you didn't read my reason for doing it :wink:
Not to many fixed sight 3 screws out there. Yea they can be made :D Also the ROA adj. sight can become a 3 screw 45 for $230. How much do 3 screw Blackhawks go for. Nothing wrong with a std. SAMI load 45 Colt. Has worked for 140 years
I don't know where you get that it is hard to load. You must have never done it Right :roll:

Looks like a "fun thing" to me. Just haven't bugeted for the outlay yet.

The Cowboy Specials are kinda neat. When those first came out, I just made a few of my own by cutting .45 Colt cases back to ACP length. Interesting to play with. Long, heavy bullets can be problematic to load because of the internal case taper in the Colt cases, and would require a little case reaming, but I didn't go there.

:)

eveled

Hawkeye
Wyandot Jim said:
Well I guess you didn't read my reason for doing it :wink:
Not to many fixed sight 3 screws out there. Yea they can be made :D Also the ROA adj. sight can become a 3 screw 45 for $230. How much do 3 screw Blackhawks go for. Nothing wrong with a std. SAMI load 45 Colt. Has worked for 140 years
I don't know where you get that it is hard to load. You must have never done it Right :roll:

No I have never done it, but it can't be as easy to load as a blackhawk, with loading gate.

Reguardless, I hope you get what you want and enjoy it. I really enjoy my old army, and my Blackhawk.

Too bad the Old Army was discontinued, I think there is still a market for them. I wish Remington would come out with a new Army model, and a real Colt would be pretty cool too. I've had Italian knock offs, and they are not in the same leauge as the Ruger, not even close. Ed

Well Ya get a couple of Super hammers cut off the spur and weld them to the ROA hammer after ya cut off that spur :D :D :D Alan Harton did it for me. In the CAS category that I shoot in you have to shoot one handed. This allows my short thumbs to reach the hammer faster and better. :wink: :wink:
Besides they look cool :D

fortrenokid

Bearcat
To all the Pards who posted a reply:

MANY MANY THANKS. Nothing beats feedback from actual users. Whether or not I buy a conversion cylinder, I have a mess of good info to review and digest.

One Pard suggested buying a Blackhawk. I'm a real Ruger guy for Cowboy Shooting. I've got a Blackhawk 45, Old Vaquero 45, and Super Blackhawk 44 Mag in addition to the Old Army (had a old model Bearcat that I sold years ago in a fit of insanity and still regret parting company with it). Reason for the conversion cylinder? Part of it is to get another 45 pistol in action and the fact those ROA's are so dang purdy. And part might be nothing more than a wild hair up my "backside". My CAS rifles are predominately 45 so the ROA conversion would add another 45 to the stable.

Thanks again, Pards, and if anyone else out there has something to add I'd be delighted for the feedback.

JNewell

Single-Sixer
Yes, I realize I am replying to a necro-post... :oops: :wink:

I have owned both Kirst and Taylor cylinders. I liked the non-indexed baseplate of the Taylor much better.

I have three of the Taylor cylinders for three ROAs. Two were very tight drop-ins. The third was a little over-sized. Rather than do it myself, I sent the frame and cylinder to Taylors for fitting. It was returned very promptly and fits perfectly.

fortrenokid said:
Howdy Pards

Howdy Pards

I have a ROA (blued; adjustable sights) that I acquired years ago but haven't used for black powder shooting.

I've been looking at the Brownell/Taylor drop-in cylinder conversion for use at CAS matches. The cylinder is economical compared to purchase of a new/used pistol since I already have the ROA. I've also reviewed the Kirst site for their conversion cylinder.

Would be very interested in any comments from you Pards out there that have a ROA w/drop-in cylinder or had one in the past. Are they really drop-in or is some gunsmithing required? Problems been encountered? Are they practical to use? What have your actual experiences been with converted ROA's? Is reloading simple or complex and time-consuming? Accuracy?

I've read that the cylinder is short by 45LC standards and one must be careful with reloads to ensure that the cartridge overall length is correct for the cylinder. I have a fair amount of 45 Schofield brass that might address this issue. Any issues you Pards have had in this regard?

Anyway, would like to hear of actual experiences with the units before making the decision to buy one. I really like the looks of the ROA and suspect, with it's relatively heavy weight, long sight radius, and adjustable sights that it would be a good shooter. Also suspect it would add to the future sale value to have a ROA with both the original percussion cylinder and the conversion cylinder.

Thanks

Fort Reno Kid

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
I bought my stainless steel conversion cylinder through Taylors and glad I did, since I had to return both it and my ROA to Taylors for fitting, at no charge. Since then I have put over a thousand rounds of 45 Colt through it… I use either 250gr LSWC or 200gr LRNFP bullets over 8gr of Unique and it shoots to point of aim. 8gr of Unique under a 250gr bullet has been the standard 45 Colt load for years and there is nothing underpowered about it!

Erich

Single-Sixer
I bought one of Kenny Howell's cylinders for my ROA and have found the combo to be the most accurate revolver I own - with 255-grainers going right at 1025 fps (it's accurate with Hornady 144-gr round balls at 1100 fps and 190-gr conicals at just under 1150 fps, too - just not as accurate).

Ten yards
photobucket-5935-1333151697651.jpg

Fifty yards (the ragged one is from another gun)
photobucket-11009-1333151678063.jpg

I've got the Belt Mountain set-up, too. Great combo.

photobucket-27101-1345850654207.jpg

photobucket-8699-1345850581337.jpg

WASATCH CHARLIE

Bearcat
Howdy, been shooting a kirst .45 COLT conversion cyl in my r.o.a. for a couple years now.
drops right in. shooting 255gr. lee home cast projectiles with W 231 or unique.
accurate and fun to shoot. anyone who has a conversion cyl. at least a KIRST, will tell you that its a heck of a lot of fun. it seems that the ones telling you to BUY ANOTHER GUN have probably never tried one. its also a lot quicker to load than b.p. and round balls. IMHO.and you can always go back to r.b. and b.p. BELT MOUNTAIN base pins are also a good deal but not really needed unless you want one.

JNewell

Single-Sixer
I recently bought one of those Belt Mountain quick release kits. They're amazing! :D