muzzle break mini 14 / Trigger group

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike O

Bearcat
Hi, I'm a newbie to the Ruger Forum. I have a tapered barrel mini 14. I live in California, so lots of restrictions. I want to add a muzzle break, and saw a reasonably priced one from AMK Tactical. But, after visiting their website, Facebook and Instagram accounts, I cannot get a response from them as to how to order one. Not even a phone number. I know Mo-Reaper has one but for 4X the price.
I do not have a threaded barrel, so I need to slide one on with roll pins to align with the iron sites.
Trigger group:. Again California restrictions. I was also looking at a tactical stock for the mini. That would require a fixed mag. I was thinking to find a lightly used trigger group and attach the fixed trigger mechanism to that group. So, if I want to swap stock it is a drop in process rather than having to add or remove the max lock each time.
Any leads on a reasonably priced trigger group?
- Mike

dsf

Bearcat
Absent snagging one at a gun show you're looking at about $125.00 for a used one. GB and EBay have a few each.

I'm also in CA and I understand the urge to get that which the lunatics who run this state prohibit. Your approach is doable. I presume you'll have the "spare" trigger with fixed 10 round mag as a unit, which would comply with the newer CA "disassembly of the action" rather than the old "bullet button" requirement.

A suggestion - have the barrel threaded. The slip on stuff looks horrible. FWIW, the old pencil barrel is easy to thread. I have 4 Minis, all lopped off to 16" and threaded, added an upper gas block with front sight from The Arms Room.

Updated - not the best photos but shows the CA legal brake and gas block with front sight.
IMG_0675.jpg

The gun went to Accuracy Systems a few years back, they did the threading on a heavier barrel. But an older pencil barrel is the correct diameter for hand threading. Cutter, TAT and handle with cutting oil - pretty simple.
IMG_0676.jpg

Last edited:

gunman42782

Hunter
I agree with dsf about the muzzle break. The slip on ones that use the roll pin in the front sight I have had no luck with at all.

Mike O

Bearcat
Absent snagging one at a gun show you're looking at about $125.00 for a used one. GB and EBay have a few each.

I'm also in CA and I understand the urge to get that which the lunatics who run this state prohibit. Your approach is doable. I presume you'll have the "spare" trigger with fixed 10 round mag as a unit, which would comply with the newer CA "disassembly of the action" rather than the old "bullet button" requirement.

A suggestion - have the barrel threaded. The slip on stuff looks horrible. FWIW, the old pencil barrel is easy to thread. I have 4 Minis, all lopped off to 16" and threaded, added an upper gas block with front sight from The Arms Room.
Great suggestions. Thanks