Mossberg 500- Anyone Knowledgeable

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rancher Will

Blackhawk
I still have my Mossberg 500 police model that I purchased in about 1961. I carried that shotgun in my patrol cars for close to 40 years. I did have to use it was few times while on duty. It has not been fired for over 20 years now.

The shotgun was bought from Swanson's Police Supply in Denver with an 18-1/2 inch barrel, William Peep Receiver Sight and gold bead front sight, choked for slugs and buckshot. I remember that on the range that shotgun would put any slug into a six inch circle at 50 yards. Number 4 and double OO buckshot would devastate the aiming point of a target.

I remember when I once shot a load of Double OO buckshot into the front wheel of a speeding Mustang Auto that was moving at about 80 MPH. Inside the car were two armed robbers that were running my road block. At the shot the wheel exploded, I really mean exploded, and the car swerved into the Borrow Pit, rolled over, then skidded about 100 to 150 feet on its side before coming to a stop.

I believe that Mossberg was the gun for the job.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I have had a 12 gauge 500 since the early 1980's. I has a slug barrel, and now a .50 muzzle loader barrel, and it has always gone bang when needed, with no problems of any kind. Also have a Maverick 88 20 gauge in tacti-cool form I bought as a home security gun for our woods camp - also a very good gun.

Mike

ifithitu

Single-Sixer
If it's a cheap Mossberg you want the Maverick 88 12 Ga. Pump Shotgun cost me a $ 199.99 a couple years ago. I think it's a great shotgun or the price.I haven't had any problem with it. I have the Mossberg 500 Pistolgrip 12 Ga.Pump Shotgun too.I added a ATI stock about three months ago.

sebtool

Blackhawk
I bought a neat little Mossberg 500 Defender (?) model in .410 out of the classifieds here last summer as a home defense gun for my daughter. She's recoil and noise shy, and while not a reluctant shooter, not a very good shot with a pistol, a little better with a revolver.

Not only is that thing a hoot to shoot, she's actually pretty good with it! While the ammo being extremely expensive puts a dent in what we can afford to shoot, she's gained a respectable level of proficiency with it, as well as a level of confidence that she didn't have before. Wish I'd picked 1 up years ago!

Rocdoc

Buckeye
sebtool said:
I bought a neat little Mossberg 500 Defender (?) model in .410 out of the classifieds here last summer as a home defense gun for my daughter.

Folks say, and I would agree, nothing better to scare the bad guys away than a pump shotgun being cycled into battery, sound is un-mistakable.

Rocdoc said:
sebtool said:
I bought a neat little Mossberg 500 Defender (?) model in .410 out of the classifieds here last summer as a home defense gun for my daughter.

Folks say, and I would agree, nothing better to scare the bad guys away than a pump shotgun being cycled into battery, sound is un-mistakable.

Mom used my .410 Mossy for home defense toward the end of her life. In her eighties she suffered from muscle deterioration as many do. But she could handle, cycle and fire the .410.

So the little .410 is great for a first and last shotgun.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Some of the older ones had odd stock dimensions that didn't fit me well. I currently have 20 gauge that is about a 2010 model and it is just as good a scattergun as my 870. I actually like the aluminum receiver, gives it a more lively feel in the hands when shooting clays.

Three50seven

Buckeye
I've shot a 500A as my main waterfowl gun for over 10 years now, and it was used when I started using it. 18.5" vent rib barrel and Briley extended improved modified choke tube. It's a duck and goose killing machine, couldn't begin to guess how many birds I've shot with that gun. You can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500!

Major T

Blackhawk
Once upon a time 870s were better guns. Double action bars on the Mossberg and Remingtons continued slide down hill may have changed all that.

Ammo. I have tested 2 1/2" .410 loaded for clays with 8.5 shot, and here is what I find out of my Winchester 42 with a modified choke. The clays load patterns better than 3" shells and the hard 8.5 target shot penetrated deeper into pine boards. You may have to get your dealer to order it for you, but it is worth the trouble. I have used said load for opening of dove season for the past several years. You cannot have more fun with a shotgun.

Best wishes,

Jack

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The .410 is more capable than people think it is. My little NEF with full choke never had trouble dislodging fat fox squirrels from high up in the trees.