MINI RANT 22/45 lite

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Probably just me but I'll ask anyway. Does anyone else think it is a bad idea to have holes or lightening cuts in the aluminum barrel shroud on a gun that may be used in the field and exposed to moisture. I don't own a lite model so maybe I'm missing something. Does the shroud come off for cleaning and lubing? Seems like a great way for moisture to get between the barrel and shroud and give rust a place hide. The black model with the flutes seemed like the most practical version but they are no longer made.

http://ruger.com/products/2245Lite/models.html

9x19

Hunter
Better cooling with the holes... a hair dryer would take care of any hidden moisture.

trapperon

Blackhawk
bentblade

Its not for me either==way too space commander looking! But if the upcoming generation is attracted to this style its all god if it gets them into the shooting sports!

Ron

wwb

Hunter
9x19 said:
Better cooling with the holes... a hair dryer would take care of any hidden moisture.

Better cooling? Yup, it would.... but you'd have to shoot like a maniac to get a normal barrel anything above lukewarm with a .22 rimfire. My guess is it's more for style than anything - but then, I'm a cranky old fart who only recently admitted that it's okay to own a stainless steel revolver.

9x19

Hunter
wwb said:
9x19 said:

Better cooling? Yup, it would.... but you'd have to shoot like a maniac to get a normal barrel anything above lukewarm with a .22 rimfire. My guess is it's more for style than anything - but then, I'm a cranky old fart who only recently admitted that it's okay to own a stainless steel revolver.

Have you seen the actual barrel on the Lite Models? It is pencil thin and will heat up quite a bit quicker than a "normal" barrel.

Tom swapped for a LITE mostly because it was the only thing available locally with a threaded muzzle. I don't like it much at all. I found a dealer who would order a 22/45 threaded (non-LITE) for me. Took a while but much better IMHO.

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't think the slots that are cut out would be a serious rust issue or anything. But if it's a concern,,, use a hair dryer if exposed & a light lube after.

Latest posts