Mini 30

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sleeving and tensioning the barrel is the only thing that could probably help and the design makes that nearly impossible. You could possibly tension the front section of the barrel which could possibly stabilize it. The design pretty much makes the stock and everything else affect the barrel. Thermal differences etc. Load a mag and starting from a cold barrel fire a round every 30 seconds with the exact same point of aim and see how much it vertically strings and where it stabilizes. Zeroing a gun with a warm barrel and then getting upset when the groups suck starting from a cold barrel.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
The few folks I know that have added the accu-strut have been happy with the results….the accu-strut solved the accuracy issue with the XGI rifle but WBR Sr was NOT having any "f7$%*" non-ruger manufactured accessories added to his guns to solve engineering issues so he killed the XGI instead….
The strut helped my mini 30 ,but its still not a tack driver...

jc4

Bearcat
Tack driving isn't expected by me but something closer to 2- 3 inch groups would make me happy. The rifle shoots well enough especially with Russian ammo. I have like the system it operates on I own garand and m1a rifles.

I don't like to :poop: Ruger guns (on the Ruger forum no less) but the 'mini' series carbines simply aren't meant for precision shooting. You can try whatever you feel might help but the results are probably going to disappoint.
I owned a Mini-14 forty years ago because it was the only game in town for a semi-auto coyote rifle. Very disappointing is a generous appraisal. I sold 2-3 while I was in the gunshop business with similar less than favorable accuracy issues although one buyer was quite proud of his 3-4MOA Mini since he was such a poor marksman that sending bullets in a random pattern actually improved his chances of hitting.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I don't like to :poop: Ruger guns (on the Ruger forum no less) but the 'mini' series carbines simply aren't meant for precision shooting. You can try whatever you feel might help but the results are probably going to disappoint.
I owned a Mini-14 forty years ago because it was the only game in town for a semi-auto coyote rifle. Very disappointing is a generous appraisal. I sold 2-3 while I was in the gunshop business with similar less than favorable accuracy issues although one buyer was quite proud of his 3-4MOA Mini since he was such a poor marksman that sending bullets in a random pattern actually improved his chances of hitting.
This . If you want a target rifle the mini is not for you 😉

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Well,
I will put in my real world 2 cent's, having owned probably a dozen and worked on many more.
Mini's are for the most part are not that accurate out of the box, especially the pre 580 series.
Older ones for the most part are 3-4 MOA. post 580's are around 2.5 MOA
This is with decent ammo.
On pre 580 series the Accustrut cuts groups by about 40% or so and usually eliminates flyers, if you take the time to tune it and not just bolt it on.
Post 580 series the Accustrut cuts groups by about 20% and usually eliminate flyers, if you tune it.
This is an average not a definitive.
Other things come into play as well, here is what I do to all mine before adding an Accustrut:
Bedding, either glass or shim bedding.
Polish trigger and add lighter trigger spring
Smaller gas bushing and properly space and torque gas block
Recoil buffers
Remove op rod hump

These mods are cheap and easy about $60
If the rifle still needs help I add an Accustrut, well I usually add it anyways, cause it just looks cool :cool:

Anyways, here is Eleanor and Sasha, this mornings range session.
This is the Norm, Sasha shoots under 1.5 MOA easily and Eleanor under 1 MOA easily.
Eleanor is a pre 580, Sasha is a 582 series.

Attachments

• 20230821_185503.jpg
    20230821_185503.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 20230911_184739.jpg
    20230911_184739.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 88
  • 20230814_183135.jpg
    20230814_183135.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20230911_180757.jpg
    20230911_180757.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 80

abosely

Bearcat
Well,
I will put in my real world 2 cent's, having owned probably a dozen and worked on many more.
Mini's are for the most part are not that accurate out of the box, especially the pre 580 series.
Older ones for the most part are 3-4 MOA. post 580's are around 2.5 MOA
This is with decent ammo.
On pre 580 series the Accustrut cuts groups by about 40% or so and usually eliminates flyers, if you take the time to tune it and not just bolt it on.
Hate to ask such a pedestrian question, but what is the operating rod hump?

Cheers, Allen

Hylander

Single-Sixer
Hate to ask such a pedestrian question, but what is the operating rod hump?

Cheers, Allen

This is the hump.
I file this hump off. I have no idea why ruger added this.
With the hump removed and a buffer added, the rifle cycles smoother and helps with accuracy.

Attachments

• 20231222_081613.jpg
    20231222_081613.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 39

abosely

Bearcat
Interesting, I recently got a SS 5804 Mini 30 that I'm building a custom rile on and it doesn't have the hump on it.

Everything smoothed & lightly polished, Krieger cut rifling 18" barrel, all the ASI upgrades, custom English Walnut stock and new cartridge I came up with, 30-220 Russian, have chambers and reamers designed for 6-220 Russian and 6.5-220 Russian versions also.

Manson is making the custom 30-220 R reamer. Easy case forming, no cutting or fire forming required. Will feed through Ruger Mini 30 Mags and can have 6mm, 6.5mm & .30 cal cartridge only need rebarreled and gas block.

Powder capacity is about 2-3gr less depending on specfic than 6.5 Grendel, 6mm ARC, 6.5 ARC, 6mm PPC or 7.62x39 etc.

Chamber cut to optimize accuracy and feed through Ruger Mini 30 mags compared to 7.62x39.

Cartridges are all noncommercial happy to share info, data (as develops) if anyone is interested.

Cheers, Allen