Merry Christmas .....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

street

Hunter
pruger45 said:
I bought one of those NIB in 1978 for $87.50!
Just wondering, did you buy that from a dealer or from someone that bought it new? As you know they were only made from 1963 to 1964, + or - a year.

hittman

Staff member
I have an advertising piece from 1963 and it states MSRP was $87.50 ...... know that doesn't answer your question Street ..... just sayin'.

street

Hunter
hittman said:
I have an advertising piece from 1963 and it states MSRP was $87.50 ...... know that doesn't answer your question Street ..... just sayin'.

Yes that was the price back then and I think for the 357 Blackhawk. I looked at the Hawkeye but felt the buying public was getting short changed because the Hawkeye was a single shot and the Blackhawk was a six shooter and the price was the same. So I decided not to buy the Hawkeye, BAD IDEA! I was asking about the price because in 1974 I saw one for sale at a gun show for $250.00. When I got serious about collecting Rugers which was about 1977-78 the Hawkeyes were selling for $600 to $800. This was in the Shotgun news. Within the next couple of years they went from that price to $1000 to 1200 in one month issue of the Shotgun news. About then there was getting a lot of people starting to collect Rugers. To buy a new in the box Hawkeye for 87.50 in 1978 is the buy of a lifetime and I was just wondering if a dealer would sell one for 87.50, not knowing it's true value, or if he bought it from an individual that only wanted to get his money back and didn't know what they were worth.

sounds about right, we had our first gun shop in Cleveland in the 1973 era, ,did mostly refinishing, after all the name of the shop was Cleveland Bluing Co.....hhmmm :roll: :wink:
yes, we had a few Rugers, mostly S&W and Cols back then, and we could NOT get rid of our Hawkeyes and yes, they were in the store for around $87.50, and recall getting the brass frames in the box, grips,trigger and frame for $7.50 , we had a couple of dozen of them on hand, sold the Colt Pythons ,blued ones for around $289 and the nickel ones for $327.and those were another "hard sell"....heck, we reblued the average handgun back then for $17.50 complete....just saw an old price sheet not too long ago, while cleaning the shop downstairs....ah yes those were the days......some of the Hawkeyes we had the gunsmiths rechambered to other calibers , to try and make them more marketable,,,,we even re-chambered a few Dan Wesson revolvers in the .256 Win. because we were told it couldn't be done....yep even got written up in the American Handgunner........
Yes, 'hittman' you got a nice one there, we've come a long ways........Merry Christmas :)

hittman

Staff member
rugerguy said:
..... we've come a long ways........Merry Christmas :)

Thank you Dan.
Yes, I have come a long way due in large part to you and others like you on this Forum.

You guys have taught me a lifetime worth of info on this hobby, on Rugers, on collecting, on other brands ..... the list goes on and on.

Thank you all very much.