Mark II/III vs. 22/45 vs. ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
My next purchase might be a .22LR Traget Pistol. But since it would only be a target pistol, I don't want to put a who lot of $'s into it. (I have a .22LR / .22WRM revolver for a 'Plinker"). I shot a half-a-box through a 22/45 a couple weeks ago... I found the trigger to be very light (a lot lighter that I was used to & I was some-what over squeezing), but I think I could get used to it in a couple boxes or so.

Anyhow, current/previous owners, please comment on the "line of Pistols."

Comments on the various available 22/45 models would also be appreciated.

Also, any comments on a "Value" non-Ruger pistol to use as a Target Pistol (Semi-auto or revolver) would also be appreciated.

Finally, I'm 60+ & near-sighted and have "60+ eyes". Iron sightts are now somewhat of an issue for me. Do any of you "Experienced :wink:" shooters have experience with a Red Dot?

Thanks for any/all comments.

StaySafe,
MG

Geezer

Single-Sixer
For the money spent, you can't do much better than a Ruger .22. I am partial to the MK I's and MK II's. I never was a big fan of the 22/45 but many people sure do like them. I also don't care for the MK III's in either version because of the added features.
The Browning Buckmark is a pretty good value, too. There are a lot more accessories and extras for the Rugers, though, in case you ever decide to do some personalization.

wwb

Hunter
The Mark II was the pinnacle of Ruger .22 Auto development. The Mark III was, in my opinion, a giant step backwards.

If you want a purely paper-punching target pistol, get a Mark II Target (either bull barrel, slab-side barrel, or tapered heavy target barrel - your choice) and install a Volquartsen trigger, sear, and hammer. Unless you're willing to spend a bundle, you can't beat it.

96/44

Blackhawk
+1 on the MKII, and if you really prefer the button mag release, you could look for a MKII 22/45 ( which also has a much thicker grip than the MKIII version). Hard to beat a Ruger auto without spending some serious money.

SIGWatchman

Bearcat
I really like my MKII target. It is a stainless slab side model and is one of my "core" guns. It is one I will never part with. Great pistol. I have a Millet Red-dot on mine. Red dots are great, just remember to turn it off when you're done. :lol:

The 22/45 version has a 1911 style grip angle and controls.

As mentioned, the Browning Buckmark is also a very nice pistol. It seems like everywhere I turn on these conversations, it is either a Ruger MKII or the Browning Buckmark in the end.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I have a bunch of MKIIIs and I like them. I have a JPoint red dot sight on one and the base replaces the rear sight on the MKIII/MKIII22/45 Target models so its pretty low profile and easy to use. I shoot Steel Challenge with it.

MKIII Target models come drilled and tapped and with a weaver type base for use with a red dot scope.

A

Anonymous

I have been all through the Ruger MKII's stainless models and all were nice but... expensive in my opnion. Kinda got away from plinking and target shooting. Then gained a son-in-law who is a LEO that needs to qualify all the time and got me interested in shooting again. Since he maintains a High-Ended selection of pistols, most of which are 1911 style shooting expensive rounds, Him and I just purchaed twin 22/45's... the cheapo's with standard no-removable grips but with the heavy 4.5 in target barrel's.. (the heavy target barrel seems to maintain a better target picture when rapid firing).

Long story short... the 22/45 won't break your bank account, fun to shoot, easy to neglect (except for occassional breakdown cleaning), can be accessorized if desired. I find it shoots and handles just fine out of the box without trigger work.... otherwise I would have selected a higher-end gun. (I hate to buy something just so I can rebuild it).

I am also 60+ wear corrective glasses and need a 25 yard barrel to hit bullseye targes at 24 .9 yards away and even then I miss!

ranger1

Buckeye
I have a Ruger Mark III678 Hunter, Mark III P512 22/45 and a Browning Buckmark Standard SS URX, all stock and no modifications.

The 22/45 is the least expensive (about $249.00) and I enjoy this gun as much as the Hunter (about $479.00). The Buckmark (about $329.00) is also a comfortable, reliable great shooter and has a good trigger. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with anyone of these. For value, the 22/45 would be a good choice if you want to keep more money in your pocket.

I might also add, replacement magazines are less expensive for the Rugers. :D

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Mountain ... My thoughts on your questions are as follows:

1. Although there seems to be alot of folks that don't like the safety features on the MKIII (LCI & mag disconnect), or that buy one and remove the aforementioned items, I've been very pleased with the performance of my MKIII512 (bull barrel target model), and with the exception of a VQ extractor, it remains unmodified (nearly 50,000 rounds through it so far).

2. While you've got me by a few years, my old eyes don't do well with iron sights over about 35 - 40'. Accordingly, I use a Barska red dot for the 40 - 70' range and pop on a Nikkon 2x scope for 25 yards and beyond.

3. As far as other fun little .22s for plinking, I'd recommend that you consider a Chiappa 1911-22. For the money it's a great little gun IMHO.

Good luck with your decision!
MKIIIwNikon2x.jpg

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
Rugers pretty much set the accuracy standard for a recreational .22 handgun. The mkIII's have some unnecessary features such as a loaded chamber indicator, ect, but they are still a pretty good product. Buckmarks are nice, but they are beat when it comes to field stripping. The Rugers are very simple once you get used to it. Buckmarks aren't hard, but I don't care for they way they disassemble. With that being said, either one would probably serve you well. In regards to 22/45s, they are much lighter, but I didn't like the fact that the consumer was stuck with the overly slim plastic grip. I would seriously take a look at the new ones with interchangeable grip panels.

oldpal

Bearcat
Hi Mountain-Gator. I have a new Mark III 22/45RP with a Millett red dot sight (old eyes also.) This is a great pistol. It's great looking and accurate as anything. Don't believe anyone who says that they are hard to take down and re-assemble. Just follow some simple instructions. Here's a photo.

4525.jpg

Hugh