Mark II for Bullseye

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
I'd like to get back into Bullseye shooting. My lgs has two Mark IIs that I'm looking at. One has the 5" bull barrel and the other has the 6 1/2(I think) tapered barrel with adjustable sights. Any reason to pick one over the other? They both are priced the same and are in similar conditions. Just wondering which would be better for high round count and accuracy.

Assuming no abuse or damage, they SHOULD be equally accurate and durable. The 6 7/8" tapered target model would possibly have a slight advantage over the 5 1/2" bull barrel due to the extra sight radius. Suggest you see which one feels best to you and pick that one.

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
The bull barrel seems heavier but balances better for me, while the tapered barrel feels lighter but is front heavy in my hand. The high standard I own now has a bull barrel and it shoots well but I wasn't sure if it has an advantage over a thinner barrel. I assume the longer sight radius with less weight is the main benefit.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
MalteseHoss said:
The bull barrel seems heavier but balances better for me, while the tapered barrel feels lighter but is front heavy in my hand. The high standard I own now has a bull barrel and it shoots well but I wasn't sure if it has an advantage over a thinner barrel. I assume the longer sight radius with less weight is the main benefit.

That's the recommendation I would suggest. Heft those that you're looking at and hold them out at arms length to see how they all balance for you. Accuracy is normally very GOOD for the Ruger Mark pistols at "bullseye" distances, with most of the more decent Standard velocity .22 rimfire. The 5 ½ Bull barrel version Ruger Mark is my favorite for bullseye shooting also, after I changed the sights to be more visible against the black bullseye.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

As has already been said, pick the one that feels better: accuracy should be about the same between those two barrels. I prefer the looks of the longer, tapered barrel version but I bought a 5.5 inch blued bull barrel Mk II because it "felt better" to me. I've never been disappointed in that choice.

Rick C

I also have both. I do believe the slightly longer sight radius makes the 6-7/8" a boon to accuracy, but the handiness of the slightly shorter 5-1/2" model makes it my favorite, so much so that I haven't shot the longer version in many years.