m77-R .284

Help Support Ruger Forum:

c.myers3

Bearcat
In search of some info on a rare/scarce rifle I own. I have a M77-r .284WIN. 70-22*** serial #. I know it's one of the rare or scarce rifles out there and was wondering about the value since I'm contiplating selling the gun. It has the flat bolt, rear tang safety, and original rings. Used to have the original sights but are no longer on the rifle. I purchased this rifle from a fellow about 12 years ago. I also have 1.5 boxes of factory ammo, 1.5 boxes of fired factory brass, a few handloaded ballistic tip cartridges, and a bag of 50ct. unopened new brass. I can post a pic if anyone is interested.

Thanks
**Updated with pics**

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
Welcome to the rugerforum! I saw the pics you posted in the New Member Introduction so I can give you my 2 cents worth. Due to the wear on the bolt handle and the sights being removed I'd say the rifle has almost zero collector value. I does have value as a shooter however especially with the ammo, etc., which I would sell seperately if I were you. If you still have the sights or could find some it may be worth while to restore it. As a restored rifle assuming just the bolt were re-blued and no damage to the barrel it would be about an $800-$900 rifle (around here). As is it may be worth $400. If you list it on gunbroker you'll have a larger audience and may get more. JMHO (Just my humble opinion).

c.myers3

Bearcat
Thank you for your response sir, greatly appreciated. Wasn't sure if re-bluing would hurt or help the value overall. Thanks again

Tnhunter

Bearcat
FWIW, I just sold a very similar rifle, but a 1987 build M77R (not a flat bolt). Mine was like new, but fired, with original box, paperwork & rings and sold for $1100.

c.myers3

Bearcat
Tnhunter said:
FWIW, I just sold a very similar rifle, but a 1987 build M77R (not a flat bolt). Mine was like new, but fired, with original box, paperwork & rings and sold for $1100.

Yeah, I did a search on ".284" before I posted about mine and saw your post on the other thread. I wish I had the box and paperwork on mine. It would deffinately bring a few more pennies! I've got a local guy that is supposed to be getting in touch with me later to check mine out and give me some info on it.

c.myers3

Bearcat
HAWKEYE#28 said:
BASED ON RUGER'S TECHNICAL COMMENTS ON THE INSTALLATION OF THAT FRONT SIGHT, AND THE HORROR STORIES ABOUT REMOVAL OF SAME, THERE WAS SOME GENIUS INVOLVED IN THE REMOVAL...jUST SAYIN' 8)

Lol. Deffinately no work of a genius! Really wasn't hard at all. Just remove sight pin, remove set screws and tap with brass hammer. Once it started moving it slid right off. Can't even tell where it was set at. Not sure about the other horror stories... Maybe rust had set in under or around some of those. I have heard of some folks grinding the sights very thin then knocking it off. I just wish I could remember what I did with mine after removal!

Tnhunter

Bearcat
c.myers3 said:
Tnhunter said:

Yeah, I did a search on ".284" before I posted about mine and saw your post on the other thread. I wish I had the box and paperwork on mine. It would deffinately bring a few more pennies! I've got a local guy that is supposed to be getting in touch with me later to check mine out and give me some info on it.

With the Vari-X scope on it and the 100 rounds of ammo I had included in the sale it was just under $1400 shipped.