M77 project trigger guard question, barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Texas629

Bearcat
My latest project is M77 serial 73.... in 7mm Remington Mag. The rifle has a beautiful custom stock and is in good condition. 83 yr old widow sold the shop three of her husbands rifles a few days ago. He had nice taste in rifles. Paid $400 for the M77 at a LGS, they were asking $550. The trigger guard and magazine cover have some dings and scratches that I need to clean up. I am considering getting them epoxy coated instead of replacing them. Are M77 trigger guard and the floor plate parts interchangeable with the MK II parts?

M77 barrel? My own experience is that OEM barrels are crap shoot. Curious if anyone has had their M77 rebarreled. Considering a McGowan ready fit replacement.

Does anyone reload for this rifle?

Read lots of complaints about the M77 stock trigger. Maybe a Timney to replace it?

Will probably mount a Meopta scope on this rifle when I am done.

picketpin

Buckeye
Yep. Hardley ever been a guy that managed kill a single critter with a factory barrel on a Ruger. I'd change it real quick BEFORE you figure out you probably don't NEED to.

RWT

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
Here is mine that I recently gave to my brother. Tang Safety 7RM. According to approximate dates this one is suppose to have a 'crappy' Wilson barrel sourced by Ruger at the time :)

Here is a five shot group with 140 NBT at 100m after I bedded and free floated the rifle. I prefer to bed the action and float the barrel as the wood contact in the barrel channel have caused shift in impact from season to season.

I would have those scratched parts done with Cerakote as it is quite durable and it looks nice.

Regarding the barrel, I would shoot it and check how it does, then decide.

Pieter

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
First, your rifle was manufactured in 1977, 1978 or 1979 per Ruger. Depends on the rest of the serial number.

Starting SN for each year:
72-38101 1977
73-05351 1978
73-92701 1979

My oldest M77 is my 7mm RM from 1982 and it shoots great. Yours may or may not, but I would definitely give it a try.

As far as the triggers, the M77 trigger is adjustable and easy to work on. I've never needed to swap out a Ruger trigger but have worked on all of them except my two-stage .22-250 VT.

I reload for mine and haven't found it to be fussy except with 120g Barnes TTSX. IMR7828SC fixed that. D you have specific reloading questions?

Texas629

Bearcat
Gunsmith says barrel looks good, adding a muzzle brake and Timney trigger. Serial says rifle was built in 78.