M.R. BFR 44 vs a Ruger SBH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TimM

Bearcat
Bucks,
I was talking about the Ruger frame stretching, takes a lot, like shooting 65,000PSI pressures of the old top-end 454C Loads, but it will loosen one up.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
TimM said:
Bucks,
I was talking about the Ruger frame stretching, takes a lot, like shooting 65,000PSI pressures of the old top-end 454C Loads, but it will loosen one up.

Well, if you read Linebaugh's own words I posted, he said in building over 200 guns (at that time) that absorb the equivilent of a .458 Win in backthrust, he has NEVER HAD A BLACKHAWK FRAME MOVE, BEND OR STRETCH....

I'm inclined to believe John... :wink:

TimM

Bearcat
Bucks Owin said:
TimM said:
Bucks,

Well, if you read Linebaugh's own words I posted, he said in building over 200 guns (at that time) that absorb the equivilent of a .458 Win in backthrust, he has NEVER HAD A BLACKHAWK FRAME MOVE, BEND OR STRETCH....

Well then sounds like you need to have a Blackhawk chambered in 454C built and shoot 65,000psi loads in it.
I bet John Try's to talk you out of that idea.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
TimM said:
Bucks Owin said:
TimM said:
Bucks,

Well then sounds like you need to have a Blackhawk chambered in 454C built and shoot 65,000psi loads in it.
I bet John Try's to talk you out of that idea.

I kinda doubt it since he offers a 5 shot 454C "Bisley Hunter" at his site...

Look, I have absolutely nothing against the BFR. I think they are likely built a little tighter than a Blackhawk in regard to tolerances. They offer a 10" barrel which I prefer. They are accurate right from the box and have good triggers. A 10" 454 with a spare 45 LC cyl would suit me right down to the ground and be cheaper than Linebaugh custom.

But "frame strength" is a non issue. Either one has more than adequate..Savvy?

If Ruger offered a 10.5" SBH in 45LC I would snap one up and laugh all the way to the bank! But alas... :cry:

TimM

Bearcat
Don't tell my 500SW BFR that frame strength is a non issue, its been shoot loose and its got the big BFR frame!
Here's a photo of that gun

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Define "shot loose"...

Did the frame stretch? Did the lockwork fail? What were you shooting in it? Factory loads? Hot handloads? Did MR fix it? :?

What exactly is "shot loose"?!?

TimM

Bearcat
I played with top-end loads in the 500S&W when they first came out using the relatively cheap BFR's and X-frame's.
Pierced some primers and one of the pierced primers broke a firing pin on the smith, also blew off the front compensator (on a custom barrel I had made up for the smith)
This was when I learned the compensator does nothing on these guns but add weight and make noise.

As for "shot loose"
The cylinder of the BFR has a lot of play both side to side and back to front which it didn't before I shot 1000s of top-end loads in it,though it still shoots really well.

Here's a photo of the 2 smith's I played with, the 8 3/8"er still has the comp on it in this picture but the shroud was cut thin and after 100 or so rounds the comp. shot right off the front of the gun!