LCP P+ ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lashlaruhe

Bearcat
Is Buffalo Bore 380 Auto, 90 gr Speer GD +P ammo safe to use in the LCP pistol.
The search engine didn't bring up anything on this
Sorry to ask if been answered in the past
Thanks for your help

john16443

Single-Sixer
Have you perfformed a search of your owners manual? If you don't have one, download this from the Ruger site.

http://ruger.com/products/_manuals/lcp.pdf Page 11 says no +P in bold red letters.

It has been pointed out numerous times before, but bears repeating . . . there is no SAAMI standard for so-called ".380+P" so if you buy anything so labeled you don't really know what you're getting, pressure-wise. Thus, Ruger's warning against its use.

Cavest emptor.

:)

Cholo

Staff member
I bought some of the BB 90 gr. JHP's as well as their 100 gr cast bullets. My NAA all steel .380 will eat everything I feed it except the BB's. They are a bit warm :shock: There's no way I'd try them in my LCP.

Heywatchthis

Bearcat
I Use them. But not with a stock recoil spring.
Ruger and every other gun manufacturer has to do whatever they have to do to legally protect themselves from the morons out there that that mishandle a firearm. Thus the warnings. In the owners manual, on the barrels.

I carry my LCP with the BB lead bullets. Personally I beleive it's the best ammo for self defense for that caliber pistol. Yes they are hot and I haven't shot a lot of them because of the cost, but some of my handloads are pretty hot too (I don't think you're supposed to use handloads either!). The LCP handles them fine, with a stronger recoil spring. In fact, the LCP handles them better than my NAA. But, the NAA has the stock spring.

If anyone is not sure about the BB, then just don't use them.

147 Grain

Bearcat
Buffalo Bore makes a standard pressure and +P 380 load. I only recommend the standard pressure version that is safe for the LCP and the #1 load for the underpowered 380 is a hardcast wadcutter. Read-on:

************ 380 Auto / ACP ************

Buffalo Bore:
100-gr. Hardcast Flatnose Wadcutter Standard Pressure @ 910 fps in 2.75" barrel (Item #27E). Deep (Cutting) Penetrator. Use FMJ if you have feeding problems.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=216

Note: A hardcast wadcutter is preferred in this (9mm Short) mouse load because it permanently cuts through flesh and bone, rather than temporarily just pushing it aside as FMJ does.

Most 380 ACP HP's are not good penetrators! unless they're heavily BONDED like Winchester's 95-gr. PDX1 (S380PDB). Be sure to test any and all loads in your weapon for reliable functionality.

147 Grain

Bearcat
P.S. The LCP's recoil spring is somewhat weak. Ruger had to make a decision between an easy to pull back slide for the ladies and a stronger spring to handle premium ammo for the underpenetrating cartridge.

The standard pressure load from Buffalo Bore with a 100-gr. wadcutter is a great compromise between keeping the LCP stock for the ladies and superior penetration.

Buffalo Bore:
100-gr. Hardcast Flatnose Wadcutter Standard Pressure @ 910 fps in 2.75" barrel (Item #27E). Deep (Cutting) Penetrator.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=216

147 Grain

Bearcat
IF you insist on an underpenetrating HP for the 380 ACP, at least choose a BONDED bullet!!! Most HP's for this cartridge are unbonded and will not provide adequate penetration!

The best 380 hollow-point (HP) on the market that I am aware of is the (BONDED) PDX1 from Winchester. It has a +P rating and the recoil spring in your semi-auto (i.e. Ruger LCP) may need to be upgraded if you shoot this load in it. (Ruger only recommends standard pressure ammo in the LCP.) Your handgun from other manufactures might handle +P just fine. Currently, there is no SAAMI pressure standard to go by for the 380 ACP:

Winchester Supreme Elite: Civilian version of bonded Ranger T
95-gr. Bonded PDX1 (S380PDB) @ 1,000 fps in 3.75" barrel. Use FMJ if you have feeding problems.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/handgun-ammunition/supreme-elite/bonded-pdx1/Pages/S380PDB.aspx

kraigster414

Bearcat
"The best 380 hollow-point (HP) on the market that I am aware of is the (BONDED) PDX1 from Winchester. It has a +P rating and the recoil spring in your semi-auto (i.e. Ruger LCP) may need to be upgraded if you shoot this load in it. "

147 Grain, how do you know that the (BONDED) PDX1 exceeds SAAMI specs for standard pressure .380, that being 21,500 psi? Does Winchester state this?

147 Grain

Bearcat
Just restating what Winchester's techs have mentioned on the phone about their 380 PDX1 having a +P rating. That is their declaration and not mine. A standard pressure load from one ammo manufacture can produce higher velocities (using the same handgun & bullet) than another brand with a +P rating. Various blends of powder, primers, seating depth of bullet, powder's burn rate / speed of the slide, and etc... are all involved here.

All I'm stating is that testing of the PDX1 BULLET in 380 ACP and for that matter all calibers, has generally been very good the past couple of years.

The BONDED Ranger T style PDX1 (for civilians) is an outstanding HP for an underpowered caliber like the 380, but it's +P rated so LCP owners should remember Ruger only advises standard pressure loads in their LCP. Some LCP owners are reporting good results with PDX1 on other forums after upgrading their recoil spring.

Buffalo Bore's 100-gr. wadcutter at standard pressure is still my #1 suggestion for SD with a 380. Upgrading the LCP's recoil spring in order to use a heavy duty bonded HP like PDX1 is a second option for consideration (this results in more effort to pull the slide back and may not be suitable for some women).

kraigster414

Bearcat
147 Grain said:
Just restating what Winchester's techs have mentioned on the phone about their 380 PDX1 having a +P rating. That is their declaration and not mine. A standard pressure load from one ammo manufacture can produce higher velocities (using the same handgun & bullet) than another brand with a +P rating. Various blends of powder, primers, seating depth of bullet, and etc... (i.e. speed of slide / powder's burn rate) are all involved here.

All I'm stating is that testing of the PDX1 bullet in 380 ACP and for that matter all calibers, has generally been very good the past couple of years.

The BONDED Ranger T style PDX1 (for civilians) is an outstanding HP for an underpowered caliber like the 380, but it's +P rated so LCP owners should remember Ruger only advises standard pressure loads in their LCP. Some LCP owners are reporting good results with PDX1 on other forums after upgrading their recoil spring.

Buffalo Bore's 100-gr. wadcutter at standard pressure is still my #1 suggestion for SD with a 380. Upgrading the LCP's recoil spring in order to use a heavy duty bonded HP like PDX1 is a second option for consideration.

If the PDX1 exceeds the SAAMI pressure limit set for .380 (21,500 psi) it would have to be labeled as such and I find it hard to believe that Winchester (certainly no fringe ammo maker) would take such liberties (to say nothing of the liabilities issues involved) so we have to be careful here. Yes, to the fact that velocities may vary, psi is another story.

Ruger is quite clear on the use of .380 ammo in the LCP that exceeds SAAMI standard pressure specs. In four words: do not use it.

Accept the LCP for what it is - in the right hands and under the right circumstances a formidable,highly concealable and lightweight weapon, but it will always be a .380 (+P or not, a 50-75 fps give or take increase in MV is not going to make a whole lot of difference). Attempting to push the envelope pressure-wise creates excessive wear and tear on the gun and introduces safety concerns. If you feel you need more power, I'd opt for a subcompact 9mm.

With regard to upgraded recoil springs, folks need to know that you are referring to the Wolff dual recoil springs available in different weights (the Ruger LCP forum has an extensive thread on the subject), the 11 and 13 pound springs being the most popular.