Just do not see too many of these...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
One thing I have not seen many of are truly custom Ruger M77's. Oh yea, you see a fair amount of bolt on gunsmithing, but unlike, say the Win 70 or the various Mauser customs, Ruger just don't get any respect!

So when I saw this rifle some 25'ish years ago at a Moses Lake, WA, gun show, I just had to have it. Bought it from the craftsman himself. Not overly ornate but it sure feels good to point, and has an elegant glint to it. Quite functional and practical. Having said that I just can't bring myself to shoot it however. Purty to look at and admire.

M77 .257 Roberts. Custom by Alan K. Horst of Pullman (back then). A student of Charlie Price, a Master Engraver. I understand he had worked with or had occasion to work around the Biesen's (Al is the name I recall him mentioning). Not sure how close or accurate that information really is, but for now it is my story and I am sticking to it.

Goto: http://gallery.me.com/mjones_epsilon/100036

If this link does not work, please let me know. Trying to figure out how to get Pics working.

Anybody know what happened to Allan? He did some small jobs for me and recieved a couple of #1s for me back when he was living in Albion, a small town north of Pullman and I was working for UI in Moscow. Nice guy and an excellent workman. Lost touch with him when I got run out of town (by a nasty recession--lost most of my guns, too. Was left with my Grandad's .44 New Service, the other Grandad's .25-20, and my Winchester M37 .410 single shot. Sound familiar to anyone? ).

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Well, I just Googled him a few days ago, and he came up associated with an "AKs" gun shop (presuming it is his), in Great Falls, MT, and I emailed him to see if I could get the rings engraved to complement the gun. I wrote him a few days ago. The email did not come back, but he has not responded either.

Try [email protected]

Good luck.

Thanks, Heat; I'll give him a shout. He won't remember me, but he'll remember the #1A .243 that he SERIOUSLY though about NOT delivering to me when it arrived from the factory. Stock was simply EDIBLE walnut! It's on my .22 Hornet now. Shows you he's an honest guy--she was a real temptress!

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Mike, have you had any luck getting hold of Alan Horst?? I have had no luck via email, and will be trying to call. Here is his information, courtesy of : http://www.shooting-hunting.com/

A K'S GUN SHOP

Address: 171 Chandelle Lane GREAT FALLS, MT 59404 USA
Voice: 1-406-454-1831 Fax:
Email: [email protected]
Keywords: FFL DEALER, FIREARMS DEALER, CUSTOM GUN MAKER, MFG OBSOLETE PARTS, RESTORE ANTIQUE FIREARMS, GUNSMITHING, BLUING, RESTORATION, STOCK WORK.
Listing ID: 28991