Is my barrel chipped?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

L3g4cY

Bearcat
So I just purchased my first 1911 and second handgun total I'm by no means an expert so I figured I'd post pictures and see what you guys think. I'm really hoping it's normal since my sr9c is going back to ruger tomorrow for a trigger issue I'd rather not have both my handguns have to go back

Took the 1911 out shooting today 50 rounds of federal is all I had came home to clean and inspect as well as familiarize myself with the pistol a little more and saw a couple nicks in the barrel. We have a machine shop and this doesn't look too much like a maching error let me know what you guys think.

8C5BCB08-B960-4023-8873-0E1381651A48_zpsyquhtppi.jpg

BC4A11A8-F768-43CD-8721-A21965799BEE_zpsmqsucnym.jpg

L3g4cY

Bearcat
that sucks lol prob should contact them about this one tomorrow i guess and see what ruger CS has to say about it.

Brian48

Bearcat
I had a Colt that had those nics. Sloppy tooling. Typically this is just cosmetic. If the gun shoots OK and there's no sign that it's getting worse, I'd say just ignore it.

L3g4cY

Bearcat
yeah i took a look at it again with the old man who has 40 years of machining experience and he said its nothing to sweat, when looking at it through the ejection port the marks are no where near where it looks like the bullet actually slides up the feed ramp so unless it starts to give me feed issues i'm not worried about it and i'll try to polish that off before wasting time sending it back to ruger.

thanks for the replies

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ya know ... I'm usually on the OTHER side of conversations like this ... But to be honest ... I wouldn't like that ... Although I'm sure it would cause no issues, I still might look into getting that barrel replaced.

REV

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Imho, this kind of thing is not significant UNLESS the piece is a collector item. But it does indicate a general degradation in pride of craftsmanship that is typical of mass production. You see the same thing in many other products that are mass produced.

It's a damn shame really, but people generally aren't willing to pay for fine craftsmanship anymore. Which is why people like me can't compete with the crap that is just about all you can buy these days. Very few people are going to pay me $200 or more for a finely crafted custom fitted pistol case that will last for generations, when they can get a pos cardboard or plastic one for $20.

So these days, I do my work for the pure enjoyment of it, and give it away to those special individuals I think will have some appreciation of it.

L3g4cY

Bearcat
I agree and will keep an eye on it every time I clean it I'm going to the range with 500 rounds tomorrow and will do a thorough inspection after I don't think 50 for the first outing would show any subtle issues.

Gunny I'm a younger guy on a budget and while I'd love to have a nice fitted case or amazing leather holster I am on a budget. Sure I may have to replace my $50 holster in a couple years but hopefully I can get a nice Mitch Rosen or milt sparks holster at that time. It's also the reason I bought a $700 1911 and not a WC custom gun for $4-5k in time I will have one but for now I'll enjoy getting back into this hobby while staying in budget

meanc

Single-Sixer
If I were you I would contact Ruger and send them a photo.

In the off chance something else should need work and does have to go back to Ruger, you don't want them seeing something of that nature which may cause them to question "your" handling of the weapon and consider it "abuse", then refuse what should be a warranty repair.

L3g4cY

Bearcat
Well I'll call them Monday see what they think my sr9c should be back Monday so it'll work out I guess