Interesting ASP conversion of Speed-Six to .44 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RichCapeCod

Bearcat
Interesting custom Ruger Speed-Six. It's an ASP conversion to .44 Special. I've owned it since was made for me in 1982. The president of ASP, Kevin Parsons, made it up from a Speed Six I purchased after I wrote a piece about the conversion in Combat Handguns (I used to write a good deal for that magazine).

None of the tritium lights are working (I'd love to have them replaced with fresh ones. Anyone know where to go for that??). Gun is really well put together. Not sure why the conversion didn't take off. Probably the cost (it was pricey).

The good looking guy in the magazine article is me. I was a handsome devil in my youth…

Rich

IMG_2018_RugerSpeed-Six44ASP_01-09-11.jpg

IMG_2016_RugerSpeed-Six44ASP_01-09-11.jpg

IMG_2015_RugerSpeed-Six44ASP_01-09-11.jpg

IMG_2017_RugerSpeed-Six44ASP_01-09-11.jpg

April 1982 issue of Combat Handguns
IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum Rich. that is indeed a nice custom. I wish ruger would offer something similar

As far as a replacement sight, you might take a look at gemini customs. here's their website. They're contact info is on there as well. They might be able to help you. they are the only folks i can think of that migh offer off the shelf replacement sight for such a thing. However i'm sure there are others out there.

http://www.geminicustoms.com/Revolvers%20&%20Services.htm

~c.r.

DGW1949

Hunter
Very nice gun.

Aside from the cost, I suspect that the biggest reason that it didn't "take off" can be found stamped onto the side of the barrel. The phrase "Use Factory Ammo Only" had an entirely different meaning 29 years ago than it does today. Back then, about all that the ammo factories provided was a 246 RNL load that was struggling to exit a 4" gun at much over 750 FPS. And when ya get down to it, a "standard loaded" 44 Spl cartridge isn't much better at "stopping" than was the old 158 RNL 38 Spl service load. Of course a carefull handloader could have crafted a soft-bullet SCW load that stayed within factory pressure specs and thereby realized somewhat of an improvement....but the same goes for the 38 Spl guy, if not moreso. At least the .38-guy could safely get into the +P range with most guns. Just looking at the thin walls of that converted-.44, I doubt that dog would hunt. Apparently, the builder agreed.
Like I said though, it IS a very nice gun.

If I was in need of a bit of tritium materal to make some sight-dots out of, I'd probably get it from a mil-surp compass hand. But that's just me, I'm an old cheap-skate.

Yeah, according to my 3 teenaged grandaughters who I showed your picture to, you was indeed a handsome devil. :wink:. Looking at the photos in your article, I'd have to say that you're a dern-good photographer too.
I might have to argue about a "standard" .44 being the "last word in stopping power" though. I say that because it's nowhere near a 357 or 45ACP, and anyone who can hide a 4" Speed-Six on his person can also hide a Government 45-Auto.....and with them last two, ya gets either 6 or 8 shots, not just 5.

Just sayin' that in spite of it being a very nice gun, I can see various reasons as to why it didn't sell all that well.
No disrespect to you, ASP, or Skeeter intended.

DGW

steve b

Single-Sixer
I'll remain quite fond of my C.A. Bulldog until Ruger does make something like this. The Bulldog is best restricted to factory level loads too. We've all gotten spoiled, assuming a piece will gladly accept loads beyond what its labeled for. If you wanted a magnum, you should have bought one. steve b

Snake45

Hawkeye
Sure looks more substantial and classy than the CA Bulldog.

I'll bet if Ruger started making these tomorrow, they'd have another best-seller on their hands.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to our little forum! :wink:

RichCapeCod

Bearcat
DGW:

>"...I might have to argue about a "standard" .44 being the "last word in stopping power" though...."

Magazine articles (including all of mine!) are puff pieces. If about a piece of equipment (firearm or otherwise) they are designed to generate revenue for the magazine (ad revenue), not impart impartial information to readers. Such is the business.

Best,

Rich

mt

Single-Sixer
Wow! I remember that article...and how bad I wanted one. Unfortunately, at the time I was so broke, I could barely afford to load for my 1911.

mt

There's a reason I carry a S&W M296 Centennial Airweight .44 Special ever day. Loaded with Corbon 200 grain DPX bullets. It's a five shot as well but lighter at 18.5 ounces empty. I'm very comfortable with that cartridge and that Corbon load.

Gregg

COR

Blackhawk
FYI...If you want a decent compromise...Gary Reeder is now offering his GP 100 44Spl 5 shot conversions. Just saw a post of his about it a couple of days ago (with pics)

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for the cool pics of that revolver.

RichCapeCod

Bearcat
Tulsamal:

I've always liked the S&W 296 Bodyguard .44 Special. Too bad it's no longer offered. I have a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special. I used it as a test platform for working up a modern version of the old British "Manstopper" rounds (really nothing more then hollow base wadcutters). Fired many rounds from her (while the gun was wearing fat rubber grips). Still a reliable shooter, but, as I must admit, the quality of the handgun was not up to Ruger, S&W or Colt standards. Serviceable none the less.

Rich

She's now wearing new compact grips. I just know this is gonna hurt!
IMG_1928_CharterArmsBulldog44_01-06-11.jpg

IMG_1929_CharterArmsBulldog44_01-06-11.jpg

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Evening, Rich,

I remember your fine articles in Combat Handguns, Sir! You did a good job of writing something interesting, with good photos, and informative subjects, as I recall. I still have most of my old issues, and every now and then, I like to go down into the Hobbit Hole (basement) and drag them out, to enjoy all over again! I'll have to seek out the ones in which your work appeared. Thanks for all that good work, welcome to the forum, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

P.S. Your article on the Speedsix conversion got me going, too, as with others here! I still have my little Speedsix, and it's still as tight and accurate as it was when I bought it, brand new, way back when. I'd be loathe to mess with it, now, but would buy a new offering from Ruger, tomorrow, if they offered such a nice little 5-shot 44, or even better, a 5-shot .41!!

DGW1949

Hunter
RichCapeCod said:
DGW:

>"...I might have to argue about a "standard" .44 being the "last word in stopping power" though...."

Magazine articles (including all of mine!) are puff pieces. If about a piece of equipment (firearm or otherwise) they are designed to generate revenue for the magazine (ad revenue), not impart impartial information to readers. Such is the business.

Best,

Rich

You aint saying anything there that most of us didn't already know but I'll tell ya what.......You're the first gun rag writer that I ever heard admit it.
Your honesty on the matter speaks well of you.

Welcome to the Forum.

DGW

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
I remember that article well! Ouch that ages me too..... anyway, I'd LOVE a conversion like that on a Speed six or even GP100 3". I know if Ruger made it, they would buy!!

Sure, some custom makers do that conversion, but YIKES... the cost is not easy to swaller!

Thanks for posting the atricle!

RichCapeCod

Bearcat
MT, Doc Mark, DGW1949, ShortBBL and the other guys:

I was sort of leading a double life back when writing those articles. My "day-job" was as a sgt (later lt) serving in the NYPD's Firearms and Tactics Section. I ran the Heavy Weapons Training program, Research and Testing and the Police Firearms Instructors School. The facility is located (still I believe) on a fifty-five acre site in the Bronx off of City Island called Rodman's Neck. It was (and I'm sure is) a no nonsense professional police firearms training facility. Any piece of equipment (firearm or otherwise) was evaluated by how practical it was for its intended purpose and if the item was relevant to our needs. We routinely "Tested To Destruction."

My "off-duty" job as a gun magazine scribe came by accident. At the time I was living up in Orange County New York, on a ten acre piece of property (bought in 1970 for $11,000 dollars, a lot of money for my wife and me back then!). Had my own range. Photography was also (and still is) a hobby of mine. I did my own dark-room work. So, putting it all together; range, ability to receive firearms in New York State being a law-officer, able to develop my own photos– it turned into a natural marriage.

I'd earn around $200~$250 dollars an article. At the time we were doing a good deal of heating of our home with wood. Took me a long time to gather, cut and split the five or so cords needed for an upstate New York winter. One article bought me at least a cord (more?) of wood. And, took me a lot less time as well!

Rich

RichCapeCod

Bearcat
Some amusing photos from Warwick NY:

Shooting from my deck. Did that a lot!
WarwickNYaround1978RugerSingle-Six.jpg

Collecting and stacking wood.
WarwickNYNov1978StackingWood.jpg

FraukestackingwoodWarwickNYSept1978.jpg

Wife with Sylvester. Raised the starling from the nest. Stayed with us from June through May of the next year. We'd let him (her?) out each day. Sylvester would fly off and return in a few hours. I'd open the cage door and he'd hop in (sharing the cage with Merkel, a cockateil).
WarwickNYFraukeandSylvestertheStarlingFall1984.jpg

WarwickNYFraukeandSylvestertheStarlingSept1984.jpg

Terry T

Buckeye
Rich,
Perhaps you could give us some insight into the use of the special Ruger models used by the NYCPD? The Service Six GF-84NYCPD and the GP-100s?
Any history would be helpful.
Thanks,
Terry T

RichCapeCod

Bearcat
Terry:

Man, I've got to really get those brain cells going for this one. I served in the FTS (Firearms & Tactics Section) during the 1980s. Various firearms (all revolvers) were authorized for service use at the time. Colts were going out (Detective Specials were still quite popular with those working soft-clothes details. I carried one as my back-up piece). Most revolvers of the period were S&W (model 10s and 36s). We also (for a short period of time) had Dan Wesson revolvers (with permanent barrels) available. As for Rugers, I recall seeing Service Six models during this time but, in all honesty, don't remember the other models you mention. We did use the Ruger Mini-14 as our standard light semi-auto rifle. Very reliable piece of machinery. The number of rounds we put through our training Mini-14s at Heavy Weapons would astound you. And, they were "rode hard and put away wet." Always worked.

As an aside, while a sergeant, I unsuccessfully tried to get the department to switch to stainless steel revolvers (I ultimately succeeded in doing so as a lieutenant). Ruger (and S&W) made up a batch or stainless revolvers (Security Six and, I believe Speed Six as well – correct me if I'm in error here, but the Speed-Six has the round butt, correct?) that had been darkened chemically. It's a long story, but the darker coloration was needed to enhance identification in the field between officers.

Hope the above was helpful.

Rich

bronco45

Single-Sixer
Rich: Most interesting thread on this forum in a long time. Thank You! I remember the article and the Asps built by Theodore and others. As a young peace officer I loved the concept but could never come up with the scratch.

Also 44 SPL ammo at the time was very limited and expensive and my SO would only provide practice and qual ammo in 38 and 45 Acp.

Would like to see a modern GP 4" Adj Sight in a 41 Special. I had a 696 but the forcing cone was paper thin.

Thanks again for writing in.