If I had to decide on ONE Ruger Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boxhead

Blackhawk
It would be my first 44 Special, a flawless and fairly complex Alan Harton piece from 2003 IIRC. It's the one on the left.

SBH371.jpg

PA280087.JPG

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Boxhead, fantastic lookin' piece...and the stocks on both are great...

It'd be tough, but for me with a .45 LC, 44 & .357 Magnum 50 th, and a .41 Mag; my.44 Spl from Lipsey's and Ruger would be my pic. It's got enough punch for anything in the lower 48, great balance and packability, and it's accurate as heck. Rodfac

CocaBoloon44Spl2.jpg

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I agree I would have a very tough time limiting myself to just one for both CCW and hunting as two very different needs. So, if I can keep my Glock 19 then it becomes easy as my Ruger keeper would be the 45 Colt Super Blackhawk Hunter.

If I really had to live with the rules, then I guess the closest I have is the 5.5-inch 45 Colt Redhawk but god that is heavy to carry conceiled.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Only took a second to decide. It would be my BlackHawk 357/9mm. Plenty of power for perosnal defense. Heavy enough for anything that I am likely to hunt with a handgun, yet can be loaded down to near 22LR with 000 buck. Cheap to shoot. Handy. More accurate than I can shoot. For me the 357 in a handgun is like an 06 rifle for the North America and a 375 for Africa .
Bfly

djw54

Single-Sixer
Melissa5":3311z8tj said:
Wish I could put an SP101 grip on the GP100.

Melissa,
It looks like you have the compact grips on your 3" GP already, yes? I look at that picture, and it doesn't look like much difference, but handling them, there is a big difference.

For me, 3" GP is the choice.

Don

Melissa5

Bearcat
Djw54,

The GP100 compact grips are about 1/2" longer and wider than the SP101 grips. I agree, it does make a big difference in fit and feel.

psyclone66

Single-Sixer
A SBH-Hunter in 44 or 45. The apex of utilitarianism. Feed yourself, defend yourself, maybe even luck into a box of cartridges at the general store. :D

DGW1949

Hunter
Black Fly":257jb4f8 said:
Only took a second to decide. It would be my BlackHawk 357/9mm. Plenty of power for perosnal defense. Heavy enough for anything that I am likely to hunt with a handgun, yet can be loaded down to near 22LR with 000 buck. Cheap to shoot. Handy. More accurate than I can shoot. For me the 357 in a handgun is like an 06 rifle for the North America and a 375 for Africa .
Bfly

I'm thinking that Black Fly is on to something there.
I'd want mine built on the the OM BH platform, mostly because I never saw the need for a 357 made on a 44-mag frame...but that's a pesonal thing. Either OM or NM though, there's a lot to be said for having one gun that can fire seven different cartridges, three of which are amoung the most widely available anywhere in the free world.

But I'd sure miss my 45LC guns. :cry: .

DGW

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Depends on the situation. But I'd likely go with my 357 anniversary. Ammo is light so you can carry more. You can shoot both 357 or 38 spl. It's somewhat concealable. It's accurate.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Wow Boxhead! Your Alan Harton 44 Special is absolutely beautiful. I think it is one of the best looking revolvers I have ever seen. (If it were a car it would be a Jaguar XKE. If it were a woman it would be Kate Beckinsale.)

That is one to hold onto for a lifetime, and then pass on to progeny. (Unless you want to sell it to me, of course!)

Congratulations on owning one stunningly nice gun!

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
I would have to choose a non-Ruger gun, because Ruger doesn't offer a 1911 (yet). My Springfield Mil-spec. Because I am afraid a situation demanding only one gun might put me at risk of needing a combat weapon. Pray such a situation never happens.

mudsnake

Bearcat
My new favorite is an sp101 .357 3" because its handy, concealable, stainless, strong, pointable, shoots like a dream, and with hard cast leads to the head is a real show stopper in the woods, and many many choices for the street.

Otherwise Bwana is gonna have a rifle!

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
4" Redhawk 44 mag, it's the nearest I have to one revolver that can just about do everything. I can carry concealed in my Simply Rugged holster, so it would still work for SD and at the other end of the scale will deal with most animal predators. With 44 special through to Ruger 44 mag loads, you also pretty much have a carteridge for all occasions.