I screwed up on scope choice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ducktail

Bearcat
This is going to be an odd suggestion but here goes - use the Nikon 2 to 7X SHOTGUN scope. Tons of eye relief and indistinguishable from their rifle scopes except that their parallax is set at 75 yds said:
Don't the shotgun and rifle scopes handle the recoil differently? In other words, is a shotgun scope suitable for a rifle?

mcknight77

Blackhawk
wwb":18eh907n said:
45flattop":18eh907n said:
...... offset rings....

The obvious solution, but I'm not sure if anyone makes them to fit the bastard Ruger half-moon cutouts.

Remember the original M77 that took Weaver bases? It wasn't broke, so why did they "fix" it?

It's actually the other way around. Ruger M77s came originally with the Ruger patented cutouts. In about 1972 Bill Ruger acquiesed to some gun writers complaining that they couldn't use their Weaver, Redfield, Leupold, etc. bases and rings on thier rifles and he brought out the M77ST model which has a receiver profile the same as the Winchester M70 and is drilled and tapped for bases and rings. The ST has sights and the PL model is plain barrel. They didn't sell well, so they were discontinued about 1977.

The No.1s always had the rib with cutouts except for the V model. Early Vs were drilled and tapped for the long varmint scopes popular at the line, then later Ruger added a third set of holes to mount the shorter scopes coming into vogue with varminters. Ruger makes a base for those rifles that uses their rings. Beuhler also made a mount for those early No.1Vs that allowed a shorter scope.

Like some others, I predominately use Leupold 2x7s on my 1As and Leupold 3x9s and 4x12s on my 1Ss and 1Vs. i also use 4x, 6x and 12x fixed power Leupolds also to good effect.

I also mount my scopes a bit forward so I can shoot prone or other field positions without getting that third eyebrow.

A

Anonymous

My buddy had the same problem with the same model scope on his 450-400. I gave him a nice older weaver K2.5 and told him to sell the leupold on ebay.