I love glenfield 60's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
was in a pawn shop today and saw this little rifle and had to bring it home. stock has been refinished, it is dirty and the reciever is flaking, but it seems to be in good mechanical shape. gonna put a little ol rimfire scope on it and use it for squirrels.

0FEE885D-F863-4C96-807A-8D46D50C2C93-1834-0000017DA074FD67_zpsb7f0225a.jpg

Ethang

Blackhawk
That was my very first rifle I bought totally myself, squirrel stock and all. I worked my butt off bailing hay and picking rocks out of a farmers field to pay for it. I still have it and plan to pass it on to my first grandson when he gets older.I just need to go through it. Won't feed rounds very well anymore.

Joe S.

Hunter
i have no idea what this one will do. i know it needs a good spray down, so will buy some de chlorinated brake parts cleaner next time i am at auto zone. :)

found an old scope and rings in my parts drawer tonight so problem solved. now to sight it in without wasting a ton of 22 ammo! :eek:

Ethang

Blackhawk
I still remember when I bought mine from a local guy who ran a gun shop in his basement. I was 13 but I knew I wanted a sling to carry it with. It was used and when my dad and I picked it up he showed me how to clean it. Took the stock off and poured some gasoline in a tub and scrubbed it with a brush. Then he put it back together,installed the swivels, and gave me the leather sling. $35 plus $10 for the swivels. It is funny what stands out in your mind over the years.

Ethang

Blackhawk
Joe thanks for this post. My old rifle has been sitting in the very back of my safe for too many years. I think maybe tomorrow I will pull her out and put some rounds downrange. Maybe figure out what is wrong so she is in tip top shape for my grandson. In that he is two months old right now it will be a few years before he is ready...

Ethang

Blackhawk
Joe S. said:
that just means you have time! thanks for sharing!

No thank you for sharing. Your post brought back some really good memories. I don't remember how many rabbits, squirrels and woodchucks I took over the years with that rifle. I discarded it for newer fancier shinier rifles, even though she never lacked for anything.

Tomorrow might be the day to take her back out and get some nice pics.

stevemb

Hunter
That was my first .22 rifle also. Was my job to keep the woodchucks outta the garden and such. stevemb

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Also the first gun I paid for myself, $39.95 at Target. Paid for it many times over selling hides back in the day, still have it.

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
Joe...I have it's twin brother with the factory scope...been killing varments with it for going on 25 years. When I saw yours sitting in the stand all ready to clean up or cleaned up it made me feel very bad. Mine has been setting in the garage for years and I don't remember the last time I have cleaned it. I have been just giving it a good wash down with WD-40 every now and then. It has never failed to fire or ever jamed...can't say that about some of the new stuff.

Mike J

Hunter
Neat rifle. I have a shorter version of it that was my Dads. But mine doesn't have a squirrel on the stock. These rifles are fun plinkers.

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
I had a Marlin branded rifle that looked a lot like that one. Bought new around 1981, I think. I shot it a lot and never thoroughly cleaned it, since the manual didn't really say how to do that. The rifle was very accurate, even with the iron sights.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
A similar one is the Glenfield 75. I bought a used one years ago for $20 when K-Mart or WalMart were selling them new for $39.95. It has taken it's share of squirrels, rabbits, rats, tennis balls, plastic bottles and all manner of reactive targets. Kinda like a Timex! :wink: It holds it's place in the safe right along with the 10/22's. :D

rutcutter

Single-Sixer
I have it's twin in the safe, right down to same coloring in the refinished stock. Was the second gun I ever bought at age 14. Bet it has over a hundred thousand rounds through it over the years. Been used by hundreds of hunter education students for years.

Mike

Mag-force

Single-Sixer
Nice rifle, I sure would like to find a stock for mine. My son took it hunting slide down a hill and broke the stock in to. It still shoots great but has some 200 mph tape on it.

Joe S.

Hunter
Mag-force. Tough luck there! Ugh! Hope your son wasnt hurt!

Hangnoose i bet a lot if "poor college kids" had a similar story with these ol rifles.

1RugerFan_33

Single-Sixer
I just traded for one of these, earlier this year, m'self...bout $60.00 worth of ammo...figured it a good trade.

Mine's a Glenfield, too....got a straight 4x same branded scope offa ebay for roughly $20; have removed the "hump" on the stock; still refinishing it with the girlfriend's help; made in 1978, I think. Maybe I'll post pics when it's done.

It's my first Marlin/Glenfield, and I really love the way it's turning out...if you like yours half as much, bet you love it! I think it may beat out my various 10/22s as my favorite "squirrel gun"...

Latest posts