Howdy old friends, I'm back and have a question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

leejack

Single-Sixer
First, just want to say hi to everybody, I've been on a lengthy hiatus from the forum.

On to the question; is the current (brand new) Blackhawk .357 in blue, really blue? They didn't cheapen it by making it flat black, is it the same finish of 15 years ago?

Also, does it have a hidden lock inside the grips or did they come to their senses and get rid of that? I haven't followed Ruger in quite a while, so forgive the elementary questions.

I do have the itch for a new BH, either "blue" or stainless!

Good to be back! Best wishes to all!

Lee....

schloss

Single-Sixer
They're black, not blue. Good luck finding any production gun in this price range with real bluing on it.

I was thinking that Ruger had moved away from the internal lock, but hard to say what you'll actually get, anyway. Fortunately you can remove it fairly easily.

leejack

Single-Sixer
Thank you!

I must refine my question though,

is it that nice semi gloss durable black they used a decade ago, or is it that cheap flat black that so many manufacturers are going to (the finish that wears off easily)?

Thanks...

CraigC

Hawkeye
People have some weird misconceptions about bluing. What makes a finish "matte" is the metal prep beforehand and that does not allow it to just rub off. Virtually any modern "blued" gun is going to be finished in hot salt blue. Whether now or 50yrs ago. Yes, that is basically a black finish. The only real difference is in the amount of polish the metal receives before it is blued. That is the only difference in the finish between this traditional brushed blue GP-100 and the matte blue 22/45.

Ropers%20003b.jpg

IMG_8837b.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The locks were discontinued in 2012. All SAs with an 'L' in the catalog # will have a lock. When in doubt pull off the grips.

Current SAs are black but not flat black. They vary somewhat but most are pretty close to a full gloss polish under the 'bluing'. Not like a Mod 29 44 mag or a Python but pretty nice.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
None of the matte black. It is still as it was 15 years ago. Fairly glossy black, reasonably tough. The locks should be gone unless you buy one that's been sitting on the shelf 5 years or so. I share your enthusiasm. There's not much revolver work that needs doing that a good .357 Blackhawk won't do. It's definitely a top contender for that "if you could only have one handgun, what would it be" type of gun.

leejack

Single-Sixer
Thanks everyone, it's pretty much s I expected.

The black/blue of 15 years ago is fine with me.