How Uncommon?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Found a tapered barrrel 22/45 for sale locally and realized I have never seen one before. It's stainless and the seller is calling it a Ruger 22/45 stainless Target. I thought TARGET meant bull barrel but I guess not. ASSuming it's a MKII, is it rare and is it worth more than others? I am no fan of stainless or tapered 22's.

I'm fairly certain that TARGET doesn't necessarily designate a heavy barrel but does indicate adjustable sights. I can't positively answer your question nor am I a fan of tapered barrel BUT any sort of 22/45 MK2 is worth a fair price.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Tapered barrel was the original style; bull-barrel was the Johnny-come-lately. I can remember thinking, "Hey, that's weird," when I saw my first bull-barreled example...

9x19

Hunter
That is a KP514.

Not rare, but not common. I've owned a few over the years, but have settled on the 4" bull and 4 5/8" stainless as my favorite 22/45s.

The KP514 does balance well for me, and the adjustable rear sight is almost always a plus.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I say "hey, that's weird" every time I see a tapered MKII MKIII or RSP.

Do an image search for 22/45 stainless and one out of every 20 or so is tapered.

I already own a 22/45 (the good kind :D MKIII 22/45RP fully customized) so I was wondering if its rarity made it worth getting. But since it's not rare (only uncommon), is stainless and tapered, isn't cheap, and doesn't have the box ... I will pass.

Thanks

Hankus

Blackhawk
Did it look like this? I bought this new in Colorado Springs while I was stationed at Fort Carson back in '94 for ~$279? It's a fine shooter.

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpeg
    IMG_0300.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 65
Barrel taper is almost inconsequential to accuracy except for ridiculously thin barrels. Cut and twist rate along with a good finish determines accuracy. Just lapping a bore can do more than a barrel costing more than the gun. Longer barrels can increase velocity and accuracy or just have more length to crap things up.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I said nothing about accuracy. The tapered barreled ones look funny. Bull barrels are actually more accurate for some shooters because of the added weight however. I would have considered a 22/45 ZERO when I got mine if they did not sell them (all by then) with a bull barrel. I'm not sure but I think the first gen (MKII) 22/45 was the only 22/45 offered with a tapered barrel. They've all since been bull barrels for a reason.

And why call it a "Target" just for the adjustable sights when all 22/45's I have ever seen (likely only MKIII and MKIV) have adjustable sights? The MKIV is not called "Target", just "Ruger Mark IV 22/45". Maybe they made tapered barrel non-adjustable right MKII 22/45's? No thanks.

It's just that people think if they slap a bull barrel on something it will magically become accurate. A crappy Bull Barrel will loose to a middling decent pencil barrel most days

all 22/45's I have ever seen (likely only MKIII and MKIV) have adjustable sights? Maybe they made tapered barrel non-adjustable right MKII 22/45's?

Here are a couple of MKIII 22/45s for you. Note the fixed sights.

IzRgFQLl.jpg

Yes Ruger made a tapered barrel non-adjustable sight MKII 22/45 but I can't get the picture to post.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Here are a couple of MKIII 22/45s for you. Note the fixed sights.

Yes Ruger made a tapered barrel non-adjustable sight MKII 22/45 but I can't get the picture to post.
I know that Ruger made those since that's what the topic is about and I started it.

My 22/45 is an RP and a Target. It's the only configuration I considered at the time and the only one I would want now, blued of course. Cool there are all kinds of flavors.