How Reliable is a RUGER SR9C ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hazama Yakiba

Single-Sixer
For those who may be contemplating whether or not to purchase a RUGER SR9C, I'd like you to know that this past weekend I attended a 2 day defensive handgun seminar at Ancient City Shooting Range in St. Augustine Florida (outdoors in the boonies) and...during the 18 overall training hours that I was actively shooting my SR9C...I ran FMJ & FlatNose WinClean plus a ton of cheap-o WallyWorld UMC 9mm fmj's through my gun... 1,300 rounds in total to be exact ...with only 1 Failure To Eject (FTE) ...a malfunction probably due to all the mud and wet grass I was slithering through during supine position firing from behind cover.

Note: I've previously run approximately 2,000 rounds through my SR9C since purchasing it (before taking it to the above seminar)....without one hiccup...and so one malfunction during intense outdoors "mud-boggin" training is about as good as it gets when it comes to semiautomatic performance standards.

So...in a nutshell....I'd say a RUGER SR9C is most assuredly "reliable" for CC or Home Defense under the most stressful and/or dirtiest of situations !

Haz :::A Sheep Dog:::

Verndog

Blackhawk
I've put 1700 rounds through mine. At around 400 rounds I had 2 FTF's that were WWB ammo and further inspection indicated it was ammo related. Even if I say those were my SR9c's fault that puts it at 99.88% reliable, toss them out and it's been 100% reliable. Needless to say i'm very happy with it, and it's fun to shoot.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
if the Little Brown Santa Claus is on time. 8)

Is that a racial comment?... :shock:
(No, I know it's UPS..... :D :D )

You'll love your SR9c, I sure love mine! :lol:

Hazama Yakiba; Thanks for the up-date. It's always good to be able tp point out that the 9c will take abuse and still run, like a Timex... 8)

I'll bet my life on mine if I am in a pinch!

Lateck,

hawgrider

Bearcat
This is great to hear - picked one up a couple weeks ago but haven't had a chance to take it out yet and put some rounds down the tube.

Hazama Yakiba

Single-Sixer
As an aside...out of the hundreds of gun enthusiasts (some being Iraq War vets) I've spoken to over the years, regarding what they thought was the best self defense 9mm ammo overall, approximately 80% have all pointed toward CorBon's 100 grain PoweRBall 9mm +p ammo.

Believe it....or not !

Haz :::Sheep Dog:::

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
I was at the range Monday and as I was leaving I nopticed a familiar pistol on this guy's bench- he was reloading at the back bench so rather than sticking my head in his stall I went over and asked if it was a 9c- he said yes, and he was surprised how accurate he was. Said it was to be his EDC and that he was really pleased with it. Told him I was up to 1400+ rounds and hoped he contiued to join it. Another 9c fan has arrived.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Picked up the new SR9c at lunch today. Man, this gun is nice. They had a used 17 round factory mag in the odds and ends cabinet so I bought that too, now I have one short mag and two full size ones. The first thing I noticed about this gun is the tolerances are way tighter than on my P95. All the parts fit very snugly together. The sights are awesome, they appear to be adjustable for windage and elevation and are dovetailed.

While I was at the shop I got a Taurus Millenium Pro and Springfield XD compact out of the case for comparison. The Ruger is a bit longer than the other two but decidedly slimmer and shorter from butt to rear sight. I hope I can sneak away for a range report sometime in the next couple of days, however with a funeral tomorrow and Christmas travels Friday through Sunday that doesn't look likely. I will give it a good disassembly and cleaning when I get home though.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Ok, I took the SR9c and my rough/tough/can't get enough P95 out today for a comparison shoot. Man, what a gun!! Out of the box the SR9c was very accurate by my standards, 1 1/2-2" groups at 10 yards are no problem. I think it will only get better as I get used to the trigger and the bore smooths out. No malfunctions of any kind and it puts all the brass in a pile to the right like its older brother P95 does. I can still shoot the P95 better but not by much.

The sights on the SR9c are dramatically improved. They present a very clear sight picture and are fully adjustable for windage and elevation but still with a low profile, no snag design. These are the sights that should have been on the P-series. I'm not going to be giving up the P95 by any means, it still stands guard every day at home and has never once malfuctioned. The SR9c is a nice compliment to it and is, to me at least, the perfect 9X19 carry pistol. 8)

ShannonNVA

Bearcat
I've had no problems with mine, but a couple months ago my wife had several light strikes, but everything worked just fine for me. I had run several hundred rounds (cheapo stuff) through it that day, so I think that it could have been a combo of being a bit dirty and limp wristing the gun, and maybe the cheapo ammo. Since then she has never had a problem with it.

Meditator

Bearcat
That's really good to know that SR9C can take punishment- typically Ruger , I guess. A few months ago, I bought SR9C on a wimp, but it soon became my favorite. As a matter of fact, I didn't even much about it until I saw the seller was selling it for really cheap (relatively). I had P95 and it was good but not as refine and too big to carry. I like the SR9C so much I ended up selling my G26.

Latest posts