Hornady XTP-expansion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

langenc

Single-Sixer
Found some XTPs today.. 44-240 gr.

My son used them a few yrs ago in his muzzleloader w/ a sabot. It seems I recall they had a bad rap of poor expansion. Is/was that true?

Any recommendations for use in my 77/44 and XTPs?? Shot it a little yesterday and Im going to like it a lot, I believe.

Next week load some up and see how she shoots on a target. Ive seen differing reports about the 77/44 as to accuracy. Some say Ruger fixed that when they started making their own barrels. Any experiences? Loosen/tighten screws, add O rings etc??

Cholo

Staff member
In the early 90's I was on a lease from heaven in Humphreys Co, TN with 9 other members. They convinced me to use sabots and 240 gr. XTP's. I lost count the amount of deer that were well hit and went well over 100 yds. I saw their results, and then saw mine. I bullseyed a 6pt @ about 70yds. I knew I'd made a good shot and waited for him to fall over. He just looked around. After 15 seconds or so I said *sh!t!* and started to reload that White Mtn. Carbine. The deer finally fell over after 30-45 seconds. I'd hit that deer exactly where I wanted to, and it acted like a FMJ. I went back to my Sierra JHC's and dropped the deer proper. I could never convince experienced hunters that their bullets weren't worth a damn on these mid sized TN deer. I gave the rest of those bullets away in a Forum Karma several years ago.

With that said:

XTP bullets are very well thought of not only for their accuracy, but for their game killing ability as well. It's a matter of matching the bullet to the game. A few years ago, I asked on the Forum if there had been a change in the XTP's from the early 90's thru, say, '09. I didn't get a response. I could have called Hornady, but I'll just stick with my Sierra's and cast bullets for my handgunning needs.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The XTP's are handgun bullets except for the 300gr designed for the 444 marlin I think, and as such they tend to open quickly from pistol caliber rifles. My Deerfield and 96/44 like them for accuracy but I never shot an animal with one. :D

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
The 240gr mag & 300gr. mag in 45cal were made for higher velocity. To be used in 454 & muzzleloader sabots.
I've shot a lot of XTP's in a lot of different cal. & yes I've had some not expand. But I can say that about any jacketed hp.
That's why I like gold dots they're a heavy plated hp that seems to expand 99% of the time.

stevemb

Hunter
Me and a buddy both picked up M1894's and I loaded up a bunch of 240gr XTP's for'em. Four deer went down last fall. No problems. We grew up bowhunters and tend to shoot heart/lung shots. I expect a deer to go 50-100yds.. Bullets were either found under far side of hide or exited. Years ago had a bad experience with the 200gr XTP outta my SBH, but the XTP's have been tweeked some since then.

phonejack

Single-Sixer
The HP version is all I've ever used in my muzzleloader and my 44 mag carbine. Deer take two steps at most and fall down. Never used the flat points

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I have found XTPs to be among the most accurate jacketed handgun bullets available. As to expansion, I only have experience with the smaller calibers on game. The 100 grain in the 327 Federal is incredible...expansion is awesome, even on critters as small as prairie dogs. The 90 grain for the 380 auto is the ONLY bullet I would consider in that cartridge for self-defense; it is a consistent expander while still retaining adequate penetration. A coyote, a huge rock chuck, and a psychotic billy goat at my friend's farm made me a believer. The 155 grain in 40 S&W has been dead reliable in my experience...and made a few varmints reliably dead in the testing; opossums, raccoons, and armadillos served as the majority of the targets with this combo. Honestly, the only issue I ever had with an XTP failing to expand was running the 300 grain 45s (intended for the Casull) loaded to Ruger-only 45 Colt levels and fired from my Sheriff's model Vaqueros. They just penciled through a whole mess of gallon water jugs and were last seen heading for Nebraska. The same load from a 20 inch carbine only went through three jugs and into the fourth and the recovered bullet could have been used in an advertisement. So in my experience, as long as you use the XTP in its intended velocity "window", it will work more often than not.

My Son has killed several deer using the .429 XTP 240 JHP in a 50 cal muzzle loader sabot. Velocity is in the 1850-2000 fps range. Short range seldom exits(often found under skin opposite entrance) but longer range (150 yards) usually exits. I've not used the bullet on deer so can't comment otherwise.